• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How to migrate XF installation to a new domain?

maxwolfie

Basically I'm looking at "re-branding" my existing website/XenForo installation. Same host, I can just point the new domain to my current host.

Is it straightforward? I'm not particularly savy when it comes to managing SQL databases or anything like that.

Lycaon

It's rather simple, just point the new domain to your current hosting account and change the board details in the ACP.

Your host should be able to help with pointing the new domain to your current account.

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
It's rather simple, just point the new domain to your current hosting account and change the board details in the ACP.

Your host should be able to help with pointing the new domain to your current account.
The vhosts will need to be updated to serve to the new url, unless he just uses a CNAME doing it that way.

maxwolfie

Thanks, this is probably already over my head I think. Do I really need to fiddle with the db etc? I don't know what vhosts or CNAME is, either :p

Jake Bunce

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Ask your host to park the new domain on your existing site. Then update this setting in XenForo:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Basic Board Information -> Board URL

Correct. No db stuff if it's the same server / hosting account.
Thanks Jake, all seemed to be going well until I received an error when trying to email my users via AdminCP:

Code:
Server Error

fwrite() [function.fwrite]: send of 6 bytes failed with errno=32 Broken pipe

XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
fwrite() in Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php at line 324
Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_send() in Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php at line 385
Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->quit() in Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php at line 144
Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->__destruct() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
XenForo_ControllerAdmin_User->actionEmailSend() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/hackslas/public_html/admin.php at line 13
I only literally just swapped it all around. Perhaps it needs some time to "think"?