1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to migrate XF installation to a new domain?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by maxwolfie, May 8, 2013.

1. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Active Member

Basically I'm looking at "re-branding" my existing website/XenForo installation. Same host, I can just point the new domain to my current host.

Is it straightforward? I'm not particularly savy when it comes to managing SQL databases or anything like that.

2. Lycaon

Lycaon Well-Known Member

It's rather simple, just point the new domain to your current hosting account and change the board details in the ACP.

Your host should be able to help with pointing the new domain to your current account.

maxwolfie likes this.
  3. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

4. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The vhosts will need to be updated to serve to the new url, unless he just uses a CNAME doing it that way.

maxwolfie and Lycaon like this.
  5. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Active Member

Thanks, this is probably already over my head I think. Do I really need to fiddle with the db etc? I don't know what vhosts or CNAME is, either :p

6. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Ask your host to park the new domain on your existing site. Then update this setting in XenForo:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Basic Board Information -> Board URL

maxwolfie likes this.
  7. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Active Member

Thanks Jake, so that is literally all I need to do? Nothing with databases or anything?

8. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Correct. No db stuff if it's the same server / hosting account.

maxwolfie likes this.
  9. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Active Member

Thanks Jake, all seemed to be going well until I received an error when trying to email my users via AdminCP:

Code:
    Server Error

fwrite() [function.fwrite]: send of 6 bytes failed with errno=32 Broken pipe

XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
    fwrite() in Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php at line 324
    Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_send() in Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php at line 385
    Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->quit() in Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php at line 144
    Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->__destruct() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
    XenForo_ControllerAdmin_User->actionEmailSend() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 310
    XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
    XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/hackslas/public_html/admin.php at line 13
    I only literally just swapped it all around. Perhaps it needs some time to "think"?

10. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Check the mail settings in ACP -> -> Options -> Email Options are correct.

maxwolfie likes this.
  11. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Active Member

Of course, thanks Brogan :)