XF 1.2 How to make a forum private

Ken Black

Hi, I was thinking of making one of the forums on my site private so the content can only be viewed by members of the whole forum. Everything is free, it's just that the info in this forum is mostly videos and somewhat valuable and it doesn't feel right letting guests access it without becoming a member.

How do I make a forum private ? Not the whole forum website - just one particular category and forum.

Does anyone else do this ?

Thanks in advance.

In the ACP click on: Applications, then click on ' Display Node Tree'

In that list find the node you would like to make private...then click on the permissions button immediately after the node title in that list
1.webp

Check 'private node' then click update
2.webp
Then you will need to update the the groups which you want to see the node...

For administrative check 'allow' for all 'Forum Permissions' and 'Forum Moderator Permissions' and for moderators (pending what permissions you normally give your moderators) it is pretty much the same...

For registered members you check allow for all regular ' Forum Permissions'

3.webp

But I guess there is no way for people to see the name of the forum on the main index page with all the other forums, and then if they click on it, it says it is for members only etc. ?

But I guess there is no way for people to see the name of the forum on the main index page with all the other forums, and then if they click on it, it says it is for members only etc. ?
For that private forum you can set the permissions like this...

fdhgfhfgfgh.webp

If you do it right it will show like this on the forum listfddffff.webp

Just noticed when you log out as admin and click on the private forum it displays :

There are no threads to display.

It would be better if it showed the names of the threads, thereby encouraging them to join.

But, it's not a big deal - they should understand the point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom