1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to edit a users 'username' that has been Deleted?

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by surfsup, Sep 14, 2012.

1. surfsup

surfsup Well-Known Member

I removed a User per his request but he doesnt want his username still being shown, is there a way to rename his username even though I deleted his account?

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Ideally you would have changed his name before deleting his account, but I know that Users don't tend to think like that :)

There is a way to do it via MySQL queries but I would proceed with caution. There are many places where the username is used. This query would change any posts username attributed to Chris Deeming to 'A Deleted User' but of course there's no guarantee that there won't still be traces of the old name elsewhere...

You may even want to wait to see if someone like Jake Bunce approves of this method or if there are any other ways...

Code:
    UPDATE `xf_post` SET `username` = REPLACE(`username`,'Chris Deeming','A Deleted User');
    UPDATE `xf_thread` SET `username` = REPLACE(`username`,'Chris Deeming','A Deleted User');

surfsup likes this.
  3. surfsup

surfsup Well-Known Member

Can he sue me because all of his posts are still there? His name etc. is no where to be found just a 'username'

4. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

I doubt it...

At the end of the day, they're the ones who have posted in the public domain. If your name appeared in a newspaper and at the time you approved that usage, you couldn't then change your mind and ask the newspaper to eradicate your name from all of the copies of the newspaper they distributed.

I'm seeing it a lot though, these types of request. I just do whatever they ask. But there's no reason for you to act upon these requests immediately. Let's see what others think of the database queries first...

surfsup likes this.