XF 1.2 How to duplicate Forum Button

Enguerran A

Hi everyone,

I'm running a forum for my multigame clan and I'm facing an issue I don't know how to solve. What I want is a "fake" forum for each game we play but right now it seems to be impossible.

I want to have for example a button for Battlefield 3, one for Battlefield 4 etc. on the navtabs, and I want them to display all the node tree related to it, the same as if it was the Forum button. I already have installed Nodes As Tabs which is barely what I wanted to have but it doesn't work well with Xenporta (or I don't know to use xenporta with it). I tried to copy the category_1, 2 and n (what is this n doing here??), same for forum, but the result isn't a great success.

I have 200k page viewed per mounth, 8k visitors (but only 550 membres) and I'll soon have more viewers and we all know that making big changes never please forum users which is why I want to make theses changes before.

My only question is, is it possible, and how ?

Thanks

Could you explain 'fake forum' better so I can understand what you are trying to do. I am picturing you wanting just the game titles listed on the forum home like sections with forums and subforums under each shown when you click on one of the sections in the list on forum home or in the navigation tabs and don't know if that is what you mean.

Could you explain 'fake forum' better so I can understand what you are trying to do. I am picturing you wanting just the game titles listed on the forum home like sections with forums and subforums under each shown when you click on one of the sections in the list on forum home or in the navigation tabs and don't know if that is what you mean.
Well, English isn't my main language (I think you realized that) but i'll try to explain it better :)

What I want is having the Forum button system for each game my clan play. I want to be able to chose which Categories appears when you click on this button and I want the forums, sub-forums and sub-categories to be shown the same way they would appeared with the classic Forum button. I don't know if it's more clear now ^^'

Well, English isn't my main language (I think you realized that) but i'll try to explain it better :)

What I want is having the Forum button system for each game my clan play. I want to be able to chose which Categories appears when you click on this button and I want the forums, sub-forums and sub-categories to be shown the same way they would appeared with the classic Forum button. I don't know if it's more clear now ^^'
Much more clear, however your English is perfectly fine...I understood every word you said well actually and was only confused as you brought up a couple different things and I just wanted to be clear with what the question at hand was before I answered the wrong question :-).

I believe 99.9% that you can do what you are looking to do with nodes as tabs but I have been awake for 24 hours, just walked in the door and need to sleep.

I need to finish up a style first thing when I wake up but after that I will test the idea currently in my head and make a simple write up for you.

Ok sorry about the delay, I am still busy trying to finish up something but I made a quick mostly visual example of how you could achieve that. Try following along the notes in the images and see if you can change the titles and descriptions to make this work for you.

So basically you will want to create a category and make that act like a tab, and then create other categories forums and pages that will reside in that tab, and make other tabs which will also do the same thing.

So if you look at these example images you will see some options I pointed arrows to, one is for the for the node acting as a category tab, and the other image shows an example of a node that would be contained by that one and show up in the menu sub-links

NAT-1.2.0.TAB1.webp NAT-1.2.0.sublink1.webp

By adding creating more child nodes in the node acting as a tab and making another tab I made a simple example of what you might expect to see as the outcome with you of course substituting the proper wording appropriate to your forum.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you get stuck let me know and I will help you along until I have the time to make a real guide.

Hey, you helped me cuz I didn't know the use of 'Drpth of child link' but that's not really what I wanted to do ^^. Well, i'll show you my awesome Paint skills so that you could see what I was trying to explain (I told you I had to improve my english skills)

xenfioroorooro.webp

Basically, I just want to show the same design we can see when we click on the Forum button, ntohign related to the popup menu. and I don't know if it's possible or not :rage:

I think that's how a category view is displayed by default, it does not add the categoryStrip class to the sub categories, neither it does in the forum display list. You might be able to achieve this with some editing of the template.

I'm in a rush now, but I'll try something probably by tomorrow, remind me if I forget, just shoot me a PM if anything.

Top Bottom