XF 2.2 How to disable reactions from a specific post.

ExpatIndo

Hi All,

Is there a way (or add-on) that allows the disabling of reactions for a specific post? Or even just removing the link so to make it harder to react to said post.
The use case is as follows: On our forum, sometimes a moderator needs to post an announcement in an existing thread regarding an action taken (such as deleting a post or banning a member). We do not want these kinds of posts to have reactions from users. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

It would require custom development to do properly.

You could edit the template and use a conditional statement with an array of the post IDs to remove the reactions block.

use a conditional statement with an array of the post IDs
vs.
sometimes a moderator needs to post an announcement
It seems your main problem won't be the template hack, but the in-time identification of such announcement posts since they seem to occur "sometimes" and you probably do not want to edit that list if post IDs every time something needs to be announced. Do you already have a clue/best known method how to mark such announcement posts and how you could identify them by any to be implemented mod/hack?
  • Keywords / title? -> no fun / inefficient to build a query checking message contents during normal platform operation...
  • Tag? / Prefix? -> I'm not sure if you can limit tag usage per user (group), maybe there is an Addon for that.
  • Special user "Moderator's Announcement" just for these cases using team-wide known login credentials. -> Even if shared passwords aren't that '2022 best practice, we do have such a user for special tasks at our platform and it works fine if you rotate the password fast enough, at least if somebody leaves the team. (-> I'd go for this and would set a fixed user ID check conditional in the template.)

Last edited:
It seems your main problem won't be the template hack, but the in-time identification of such announcement posts since they seem to occur "sometimes" and you probably do not want to edit that list if post IDs every time something needs to be announced. Do you already have a clue/best known method how to mark such announcement posts and how you could identify them by any to be implemented mod/hack?

Correct. Ideally, it would be possible for the elevated user posting the announcement to do it themselves. A simple "disallow reactions" option.

• Keywords / title? -> no fun / inefficient to build a query checking message contents during normal platform operation...
  • Tag? / Prefix? -> I'm not sure if you can limit tag usage per user (group), maybe there is an Addon for that.
  • Special user "Moderator's Announcement" just for these cases using team-wide known login credentials. -> Even if shared passwords aren't that '2022 best practice, we do have such a user for special tasks at our platform and it works fine if you rotate the password fast enough, at least if somebody leaves the team. (-> I'd go for this and would set a fixed user ID check conditional in the template.)

I have to consider which model to use, but a common "Moderator Announcement" user maybe the way to go.

I think that some things should be added to moderators' "tool box":

Special BBcodes, to make their posts specific, distinguished, but only in certain circumstances. I would also like that theses posts can't be quoted, or, I see, in this case that there's no reaction to these posts.

It might be useful...

Top Bottom