XF 1.4 How to disable Font Size in Posts?

XFuser

We have several users who continuously post with very large font sizes which is very distracting.

How can we disable Font Size in posts like can be done with Signatures. There is no option in the User Groups page like there is with Signatures.

Last edited:
There is no standard option to limit the BB codes in posts. I would have to recommend active moderation.
Is there a particular reason this option is available for Signatures but not for posts? If it can be done for Signatures, it should be easy to do for posts, and being able to format your posts should be configurable via the User Groups so that new users can't right large, all-bold, multi-colored posts just to draw attention. It gets very tedious having to moderate new members, you can't just ban them for making their first posts too visible, so it would be easier to set those permissions via User Group instead of having to moderate each and every one. Plus, XF already has the feature built-in, so why not just add it for posts as well?

Please let me know. Thanks.

@XFuser
Check this addon (there's an option for this - for the font tag, it's a global one, not one by usergroups).
Thanks, but we're trying to minimize the number of Add-ons we incorporate to make updating versions easier. This really should be a core feature considering it already exists for Signatures and is configurable by User Group.

I'll wait to hear Mike's thoughts on this.

It's possible to implement, but it does add a fair bit of complexity to things (permissions UI, potential issues when quoting, etc).

It's actually something that hasn't been directly suggested much. I only tracked down one example of it and it didn't get much traction (https://xenforo.com/community/threads/formatting-permissions-on-posts.51303/). So by that token, it may simply not be something that most people have an issue with.

Thanks, but we're trying to minimize the number of Add-ons we incorporate to make updating versions easier. This really should be a core feature considering it already exists for Signatures and is configurable by User Group.

I'll wait to hear Mike's thoughts on this.

Well your next "Upgrade" is going to be a rough one. Xenforo 1.4 is spoken to likely be the last 1.x so the Upgrade to the coming 2.0 is going to leave you dry or waiting on add-on rewrites anyways. Losing this addon on in the transition a year from now won't be that missed on a temporary basis.

You should be pretty comfortable setting up a Xenforo site for the long term at this point with no minor upgrades other than bug fixes coming.

It's possible to implement, but it does add a fair bit of complexity to things (permissions UI, potential issues when quoting, etc).
Glad to hear it's possible. The permissions UI shouldn't be too complicated considering it already exists for the Signatures, and the quoting issue would only happen on the rare occasion where someone with no permissions to format would quote someone who used formatting, and they would be slightly inconvenienced with a simple error message telling them they are not allowed to use the BBCode's in question. Considering there's a toolbar button to remove formatting, this really wouldn't be a big inconvenience.

It's actually something that hasn't been directly suggested much. I only tracked down one example of it and it didn't get much traction (https://xenforo.com/community/threads/formatting-permissions-on-posts.51303/). So by that token, it may simply not be something that most people have an issue with.
That thread is closed. How can I add my support for this suggestion? We might not be hearing from others who would support this suggestion because the thread is closed. Please let me know. Thanks.

To remove the Font Size button in the toolbar, add this to your EXTRA.css template:

Code:
html .redactor_toolbar li a.redactor_btn_fontsize {
    display: none;
}

Use similar code to remove any of the other undesired toolbar buttons.

Top Bottom