1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to change the content of XF error pages?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by CyclingTribe, Oct 14, 2011.

1. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

XFs default error pages are minimal and don't direct you anywhere or link back to the home page, or even redirect after 10 seconds or so - so I wondered if they can be modified, and if so, where would I do this?

Cheers,
    Shaun :D

2. M@rc

M@rc Well-Known Member

Find this phrase "requested_page_not_found" and modify its message, (y)

ACP -> Appearance -> Phrases

3. CyclingTribe

Thanks.

Will this be overwritten during upgrade? (i.e. will I need to keep re-doing the change?)

Cheers,

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Only templates and phrases which are changed between releases and which you've edited need to be reverted and edited once more.

5. CyclingTribe

Okay, so providing the requested_page_not_found phrase isn't altered during an XF update, the change I make will stick between updates.

Good to know.

Thanks,

PS. It would be nice for XF to come with at least a link back to the home page within the default error notice - at the moment it just plonks you on a minimal page with no obvious links back to the site home page in the body text.

6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I just use the nav bar links.

7. CyclingTribe

You're used to XF - I was thinking about someone brand new to my site, maybe following a broken/old link to it, and landing on what is (currently) a pretty barren error page.

Considering the great focus XF puts on the *user* experience, the error pages just feel a bit lacking.

IMHO of course ... :)

A simple "Return to the [home] page" link would help some people.

Aurèle likes this.