XF 2.0 How to change button icon?

0ptima

Id like to change the lightning bolt icon to a different Font Awsome icon

Here is the code

<xf:button href="{{ link('addon') }}" icon="bolt"> New </xf:button>

I want to change the bolt to this

However, changing the icon to stopwatch does not work
<xf:button href="{{ link('addon') }}" icon="stopwatch"> New </xf:button>

Do I need to do something else to make it appear?

Im trying to use the this pro icon

and get this

Code in extra.less

.button.button--icon--stopwatch>.button-text:before, a.button.button--icon--stopwatch>.button-text:before { content: "\f2f2"; display: inline-block; width: 1em; }

Not really sure how much of an impact an older browser should have. I think generally it would be "all or nothing" rather than only falling over on specific icons.

Code in extra.less

.button.button--icon--stopwatch>.button-text:before, a.button.button--icon--stopwatch>.button-text:before { content: "\f2f2"; display: inline-block; width: 1em; }

This is likely part of the issue. As you have already found, we don't support an icon value of "stopwatch". I'm not 100% sure why it wouldn't work (it's possible that because it's an unrecognised value, we don't actually give it the button--icon--stopwatch class). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you're wanting to add an entirely separate button rather than modifying the new posts button which is where Emre's suggestion comes from.

For a custom button (or even to modify an existing button through a template edit rather than CSS) we added something to help in XF 2.1.
HTML:
<xf:button href="{{ link('addon') }}" fa="fa-stopwatch"> New </xf:button>
That should work.

The older icon approach is somewhat deprecated now unless the usage of an icon should also provide the button text automatically, e.g. we'll carry on using this:
HTML:
<xf:button href="" icon="delete" />
(Because it will automatically use the button.delete phrase.

But for new buttons where we don't get the automatic phrase we'd likely just use this going forward:
HTML:
<xf:button href="" fa="fa-bolt">New posts</xf:button>

Not really sure how much of an impact an older browser should have. I think generally it would be "all or nothing" rather than only falling over on specific icons.
I think that's right. But for me, when I changed the node icons which always rendered on the old chrome browser before, now they do not. So, I thought maybe he was having the same type deal.

Last edited:

This is likely part of the issue. As you have already found, we don't support an icon value of "stopwatch". I'm not 100% sure why it wouldn't work (it's possible that because it's an unrecognised value, we don't actually give it the button--icon--stopwatch class). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you're wanting to add an entirely separate button rather than modifying the new posts button which is where Emre's suggestion comes from.

For a custom button (or even to modify an existing button through a template edit rather than CSS) we added something to help in XF 2.1.
HTML:
<xf:button href="{{ link('addon') }}" fa="fa-stopwatch"> New </xf:button>
That should work.

The older icon approach is somewhat deprecated now unless the usage of an icon should also provide the button text automatically, e.g. we'll carry on using this:
HTML:
<xf:button href="" icon="delete" />
(Because it will automatically use the button.delete phrase.

But for new buttons where we don't get the automatic phrase we'd likely just use this going forward:
HTML:
<xf:button href="" fa="fa-bolt">New posts</xf:button>
Hello,
Can you guide me on how to create a button with fa icon toggle when clicking?
Example:
Before click:
1698997664399.webp
After click:
1698997675201.webp
Thank you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom