How to ask a good Support question

Unique Username

Hello Everyone,

I learned this while taking a course and have adored it ever since. Is how to ask a good question, some of are you must be thinking "Is this guy bored?" Well nope, I'm not. I believe this can help you and the answerer figure out the question as easy and fast as possible. This can also help you figure out the question yourself!

If you look around you can find a lot of questions like; I keep getting this error, how do I fix? This is a bad question. Because it's not giving anyone enough information about your question. Below is how you ask a good question:

Thread Title: (Be as descriptive as possible while keeping it short as possible)
  1. Explain the problem. Try to keep it brief
  2. Observed: explain what is observed what you are seeing. (Always Provide Images)
  3. Desired: explain what you expect or desire.
  4. Steps to reproduce: What did you do to get to this problem.
  5. Good Information: The version of XenForo or add-ons used.
  6. Steps tried: (try least 3 things before posting)

Example:

Thread Title: My ball won't bounce on a rug
Explain the problem: I tried dropping the ball on the rug and it won't bounce, I've tried throwing it but just rolls.
Observed: Ball rolls on when it touches the soft surface. (Provides fake pitcutres)
Desired: I want the ball to bounce in the air when it hits the rug.
Good Information: Ball is made out of bean bags.
Steps tried:
  1. I tried throwing it
  2. I tried hopping beside it
  3. I tried getting my friend to hop with me
(LOL I know worst example ever):whistle:

How is any of this relevant to general xenforo discussion?

Maybe you need a course on determining where/when to ask your good questions.

It's relevant in that many people here post questions relating to problems. Whilst some are good and follow many of the points in the OP's post, quite a few give very little detail and it requires a lot of follow-up posts from other members to tease out all of the information required to help solve the problem.

Issues would be solved a lot quicker if everyone followed these steps.

It's relevant in that many people here post questions relating to problems. Whilst some are good and follow many of the points in the OP's post, quite a few give very little detail and it requires a lot of follow-up posts from other members to tease out all of the information required to help solve the problem.

Issues would be solved a lot quicker if everyone followed these steps.

Thread should be a sticky IMO.

Maybe you need a course on determining where/when to ask your good questions.
Maybe because to many people go "My site is broke, help me fix it", providing no necessary information that allows the requested help to be forthcoming.

Maybe because to many people go "My site is broke, help me fix it", providing no necessary information that allows the requested help to be forthcoming.
I agree! I've worked on many different support websites and the same thing comes in every time. Then when we give them solution to try they say "I've already tried that! This support sucks"

Top Bottom