• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

How To Add A New Tab In The Navbar

That's fine. Here is the code for your What's New tab:

Code:
<!-- mytab -->
<li class="navTab PopupClosed"><a href="{xen:link 'find-new/threads'}" class="navLink">{xen:phrase whats_new}</a></li>
New guy here — how would I make that link point to Recent Threads instead?

Edit: Never mind, that wasn't that hard to figure out. :whistle:

How many extra tabs can I add? Once I add more than 3, other stuff in the header and nav gets messed up.

How many extra tabs can I add? Once I add more than 3, other stuff in the header and nav gets messed up.

You are limited by horizontal space. If you want more tabs but you run out of room then you need to increase the width of your forum:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Style Properties -> General -> Page Width Controller

Hide the help tab, it's value is very limited.

Not to me Dig. With Anthony's add-on Help can be very powerful. Could even extend to select key posts as an archive.

But yes the space is limited. This is why it would be good if we could label the tabs independently, making short versions of the names we give the node they represent.
After all a Page might have a name 6 words long! Even forums can have quite lengthy names.
But Jake says this needs php coding so we have to wait for the clever guys to do that.

Jake I know you say at the start here that there are no secondaries/ dropdowns but are you interested in adding this?
It's an obvious next step.

Jake's nodes as tabs is brilliant but it doesn't support tabs as links. You have to use a workaround, with a link forum.

Ideally it would be best if Jake added in dropdown links to the code here;
then added THIS package here to THAT add-on.

Then we would have a complete Navbar Administrator with -
- Tabs as links
- Dropdown menus
- Nodes as tabs.

It then needs css to customise the look of the tabs - but for our Jake that is child's play!

Also a section to move some tabs on to a second navbar in the mast/ header zone on the right.
Because with all this beautiful navbar design the pressure on space for one bar becomes unbearable!

Jake I think you have a premier addon here!

Jake's nodes as tabs is brilliant but it doesn't support tabs as links. You have to use a workaround, with a link forum.

I wouldn't call that a workaround. It is entirely deliberate. Link forums are nodes, and the addon is called "Nodes As Tabs." Therefore you can create a tab with an arbitrary link by using the addon with a link forum.

Ideally it would be best if Jake added in dropdown links to the code here;
then added THIS package here to THAT add-on.

If you want a dropdown menu then you should use the addon. It has full support for secondary links and dropdown menus. Again, by using link forums with the addon you can create tabs and popup menus with arbitrary links.

This template modification is only for a simple tab without a popup and without secondary links. This is intentional because you can't fully utilize those features with a hard-coded tab like this.

Then we would have a complete Navbar Administrator with -
- Tabs as links
- Dropdown menus
- Nodes as tabs.

The "Nodes As Tabs" addon does all of that.

It then needs css to customise the look of the tabs - but for our Jake that is child's play!

Also a section to move some tabs on to a second navbar in the mast/ header zone on the right.
Because with all this beautiful navbar design the pressure on space for one bar becomes unbearable!

Custom styling and restructuring of the navbar can be done by modifying your style. Style changes like this are really out of scope for inclusion in the addon.

I have that, where do i get those options

Great. If you have a look on that thread there are some instructions how to use it.
(My signature gives you a tutorial how to install if you need that. Also you'll see another tutorial there which creates an admin tab. That one gives detailed steps on adding secondary links.)

Ask for more help on that thread if you need it. This one here is just for a simple create top tab.

Top Bottom