How many addons ?

Well my site is pretty specialized. One of one in fact, so I can't agree with that statement.

Since 2001 starting with vb we had dozens of mods. Then going to vb4.25 we were down to a few. Last year we jumped to myBB which really is a great little board but the need for mods was huge and I had worries with a freeware solution.

Sadly I decided to buy vb5 which was a disaster. Thankfully I was able to migrate to xenforo and import and merge so it all worked out in the end.

The only thing in my opinion with xenforo is the lack of a really good payment system. It seems that no one really cares that much about getting paid or how to increase sales / revenue. WTF??? The xenforo disallow system is completely useless. Even vb offered stacked or conditional options for memberships.

I have not found a mod yet that meets our needs but hopefully someone will listen or we can find a coder that will improve the system.

Well my site is pretty specialized. One of one in fact, so I can't agree with that statement.

Since 2001 starting with vb we had dozens of mods. Then going to vb4.25 we were down to a few. Last year we jumped to myBB which really is a great little board but the need for mods was huge and I had worries with a freeware solution.

Sadly I decided to buy vb5 which was a disaster. Thankfully I was able to migrate to xenforo and import and merge so it all worked out in the end.

The only thing in my opinion with xenforo is the lack of a really good payment system. It seems that no one really cares that much about getting paid or how to increase sales / revenue. WTF??? The xenforo disallow system is completely useless. Even vb offered stacked or conditional options for memberships.

I have not found a mod yet that meets our needs but hopefully someone will listen or we can find a coder that will improve the system.

"Usually"

Yeah, some forum softwares end up having exactly what someone needs, some do not.

I think there's some kind of simple paypal setup in some add-on I saw, but I haven't thought about payment add-ons ever for my site.

I have a newish (6 months old) mostly policatal deabtes forum.
I thnk I have about 5 or 6 add ons'
Xon and AndyB and one other
I'd like a perfect thread printing add-on, like one verison of VB had.

[8WR] XenCarta 2 (Wiki) PRO
[CMTV] Badges
[Simon Hampel] CLI Job Runner
And looks like on 2.2 I'll rely only on XenCarta (YAY, FINALLY XENFORO DEVS UNDERSTOOD THAT ON MASSIVE FORUMS CRONTAB IS ONLY LEGIT WAY TO DO JOBS! Got in rage that deferred.php gone on 2.0). Upgrading to 2.0 shorten list from ~100 to only this 3 addons. Also on 2.2 I'll look closer on XenForo builtin pages functionality and maybe move to them for XenCarta, if it could be drop-in replacement.

In XenForo there is no limit for addons itself, only limit is database performance. I'm running on bare metal, so don't mind.
But another problem - XenForo currently is only thing in infrastructure that relies on MySQL database engine, and maintain dedicated database instance with running PostgreSQL as main engine is... weird. At same time another forum software able to run on PostgreSQL/Oracle Database with addons-in-DB functionality and database jobs for maintenance (not workaround like "let's trigger this script on each page load!", which is weird and may cause spikes in load).

Last edited:
Top Bottom