How many addons ?

Faust

Hi. How many addons do you have installed on your forum ? Also taking in consideration the safety , is there any limit ? Cheers

More than I want to have. The more you add, the higher chances for slowed performance due to template replacements/additional queries/etc. It's miliseconds, but it adds up.

I only add things that provide real value (big add ons like media gallery), provide ways to monitize (eg, ads managers, affiliate rewrites), or improve performance (eg caching, elastic search, s3 attachments). There's a TON of bloat out there, of course, that bloat to me may be value-adders to others in other niche sites.

I have zero. I have my eye on a couple but I’m waiting to see what 2.2 brings. The one thing I’ve not been able to find is a User upgrade payment mod that does what I need. Other than that a couple style tweets.

I'm just planning ahead with what addons to get rid off for XF 2.2 and which once to keep, ofc paid once I will keep. Is 80 addons aren't to many?

I have 52 add-ons.

16 from Xon
5 from BassMan
5 from Ozzy47/Snog
3 from Makaze
3 from ThemeHouse
2 from truonglv
2 from NixFifty
2 from kick
2 from Mr. Jinx
2 from AndyB
10 individual add-ons.

Just Xenporta for now to power my front page. Looking at one other. Small forum with few needs that cannot be met by Xenforo itself.

I have quite a lot, but only 5 core ones to complete a CMS.

I can live without others that make my life easier, such as change author/change post date, if it comes to it to keep up to date.

More than I want to have. The more you add, the higher chances for slowed performance due to template replacements/additional queries/etc. It's miliseconds, but it adds up.
Template modifications (specifically template modifications being applied, not what they actually inject) don't have any effect on your performance outside of the pre-rendering phase of the template, which is only performed when your templates are updated (e.g. you install/uninstall/update an add-on or a style), and won't affect your site visitors experience in terms of performance.

There's not really a general rule of thumb here on how many add-ons you can have until performance becomes affected. A lot of add-ons in the resource manager do very simple things with just a couple of template modifications. You can easily sum up dozens of them before you scratch the size of one of the bigger add-ons. To me it's less about performance implications (each add-on should ideally be optimized to a point where performance implications are practically non-existent or worth the benefit they provide), and more about how many you think you can actually maintain without dropping the ball (e.g. keep up to date, and manage to upgrade if you convert to a future higher version of the software (e.g. 2.3 or even 3.0).

Just Xenporta for now to power my front page. Looking at one other. Small forum with few needs that cannot be met by Xenforo itself.

I was looking at Xenporta before, but I choose TH at the end.

I have quite a lot, but only 5 core ones to complete a CMS.

I can live without others that make my life easier, such as change author/change post date, if it comes to it to keep up to date.
I'm using these once as well.

Template modifications (specifically template modifications being applied, not what they actually inject) don't have any effect on your performance outside of the pre-rendering phase of the template, which is only performed when your templates are updated (e.g. you install/uninstall/update an add-on or a style), and won't affect your site visitors experience in terms of performance.

There's not really a general rule of thumb here on how many add-ons you can have until performance becomes affected. A lot of add-ons in the resource manager do very simple things with just a couple of template modifications. You can easily sum up dozens of them before you scratch the size of one of the bigger add-ons. To me it's less about performance implications (each add-on should ideally be optimized to a point where performance implications are practically non-existent or worth the benefit they provide), and more about how many you think you can actually maintain without dropping the ball (e.g. keep up to date, and manage to upgrade if you convert to a future higher version of the software (e.g. 2.3 or even 3.0).
That was a general question, as I'm trying to delete addons which I don't need, to make the upgrade easier, without breaking anything .

I have 15 add-ons at the moment. 2.2 will fix two of them.
Half of them are Xon:s
Have also done a lot of customizing of the original style, 2.2 will help with these as well.
If it is possible I will try to keep it close to ten, less trouble and the users are happy enough.

Top Bottom