How long will it take to do the settings and start the forum

This is my ignorance,

How long will it take to do the settings and start the forum,

Once you have installed the software, there are many aspects you can start to set up like nodes, usergroups, permissions and basic settings within options. You don't need to set up all the settings, and you can set them up when you have the time. They don't take long to configure.

I just purchased and installed the forum yesterday.
The installation process was pretty straight forward and simple if you know how to setup a database and use an FTP software.

It's really slick and intuitive.
I would say 10 minutes tops too.

I would say 10 minutes tops too.
For my first one (and I've ran other packages before) it took me a little longer. Of course, there was the small matter of it consists of 308 nodes. :eek:
Took a while to break them down into Touring Bikes, Cruisers, Sports Bikes, Standards (and then all the manufacturers and related models therein).

I think these answers are huge underestimates unless you are well accustomed to setting up a forum.
XF is way better than the other systems - the admin pages to selct what we want are all easy to get at and clearly set out to use.

But it takes thought to decide what we want - do we want a homepage or not? what board description words are best? friendly URLs the implications (this will cause problems if you change your mind later); get the logo situated properly; some basic style properties to theme with the logo; choose the initial registration options; Facebook integration? setting up captcha questions.
Then there's the whole labyrinth of usergroups and permissions. Again XF especially with the 1.2 improvemnts, is pretty helpful, and there's excellent help in Brogan's manual. But however much help there is this is a complex area for mosy boards and has big implications for how the community works. So it should have some pondering testing and checking.

I'd say be prepared to give it a couple of hours at least. The installation of the basic software may take only 15 minutes or less, but setting up the structure of the forum, trying to imagine the implications for the community you have in mind - that takes time. It's the human thought and maybe making some lists and diagrams for those usergroups! that takes the time.

I suppose if you've never touched a forum as a member or an admin in your life, it might take half an hour or so. But if, like the majority of people, you have a good idea of what you want your forum to be (which is generally the reason you've bought a piece of software in the first place, no?) then it's a breeze to go through the options of setting up the forums (because you've already decided what forum layout you want, .. . . because only an idiot would build a forum and not have a plan already formulated. . .right?), usergroups (because, unless you're converting an existing forum - you don't really need a gazillion groups to begin with, so the basic setup should cover it).

The time consuming part comes once you've got the forum up on and online - because as your community builds and evolves, how you have it set up will evolve also - and that's where the work starts.

I'd say be prepared to give it a couple of hours at least. The installation of the basic software may take only 15 minutes or less, but setting up the structure of the forum, trying to imagine the implications for the community you have in mind - that takes time. It's the human thought and maybe making some lists and diagrams for those usergroups! that takes the time.

This is what i thought. depending upon my need it may take time. But initial setup may take half hour. I did set up yaf and used it before.

Thanks for all

I suppose if you've never touched a forum as a member or an admin in your life, it might take half an hour or so.

Azhria there's no cosmic competition for who can set up a forum in five minutes - it really doesn't win any prizes.
If the community is a very simple one that's different. But a great many have complex intersecting relationships right from the start and complexity takes time to handle.

I don't think it's helpful to encourage newcomers to rush it. Better to put in some thinking time, and get it right at the start than risk relationships or privacy issues becoming fraught in the first fragile months.
Also if someone can't match these "snap fingers" estimates, then they will feel they are a failure at the game. Many new admins do find there is some frustrating thing they can't work out alone and need to ask for help. The community here is excellent at providing that help but don't make people feel they are idiots if they can't do it all instantly. Not kindly. And not realistic.
If it takes 3 hours but you get a fantastic forum out of it I'd say that's a success to be happy about.

Azhria there's no cosmic competition for who can set up a forum in five minutes - it really doesn't win any prizes.
If the community is a very simple one that's different. But a great many have complex intersecting relationships right from the start and complexity takes time to handle.

I don't think it's helpful to encourage newcomers to rush it. Better to put in some thinking time, and get it right at the start than risk relationships or privacy issues becoming fraught in the first fragile months.
Also if someone can't match these "snap fingers" estimates, then they will feel they are a failure at the game. Many new admins do find there is some frustrating thing they can't work out alone and need to ask for help. The community here is excellent at providing that help but don't make people feel they are idiots if they can't do it all instantly. Not kindly. And not realistic.
If it takes 3 hours but you get a fantastic forum out of it I'd say that's a success to be happy about.

Nobody mentioned it was a competition, these are your words, nobody else's. The estimates will vary in setting up and due to xenforo's simplicity, there's no reason why <person(s)> cannot be fast and efficient.

Again, nobody is suggesting that anyone setting up should rush. Setting up is painless and easy process so it would be a matter of minutes to setup (after installation) there's no planning permission required, nor foundations blueprints to draw but if you feel planning and drawing up things by planning ahead, there's no harm in it just as there's no harm in being quick and efficient .

Nobody is treating anyone like an idiot, we're just a bunch of people trying to help out, in our own little way. In this case the OP. There's never any guarantee than overly planning will yield positive results and usually the idea in your head is usually the right one that will work for you to get a quickstart on your forum and setting up. Keep it simple.

@rudymaddy - A nice cup of coffee before setting up is always a benefit.

I have setup a YAF forum before. I am just planning the time i have to invest when launching xenforo. Half Hour is very little i guess. The way i want the forum I should spend some time may be a day. Groups Permission, Roles etc Mail settings

thankks all

I think these answers are huge underestimates unless you are well accustomed to setting up a forum.
XF is way better than the other systems - the admin pages to selct what we want are all easy to get at and clearly set out to use.

But it takes thought to decide what we want - do we want a homepage or not? what board description words are best? friendly URLs the implications (this will cause problems if you change your mind later); get the logo situated properly; some basic style properties to theme with the logo; choose the initial registration options; Facebook integration? setting up captcha questions.
Then there's the whole labyrinth of usergroups and permissions. Again XF especially with the 1.2 improvemnts, is pretty helpful, and there's excellent help in Brogan's manual. But however much help there is this is a complex area for mosy boards and has big implications for how the community works. So it should have some pondering testing and checking.

Where do you set the logo?

Thanks!

Top Bottom