How long have you been running your community?

Last week was the 11th birthday of our forum community (gosh in a couple of years that means I'll have been there practically half of my life!!!). Anyway, so I was interested to know how long you all have been running your communities?
Just over 11 years with various software.

My site's original website was up... wow... about 16 years ago. It was about as crude as the Web has ever been. The first "forum" began about 14 years ago and then the site went through various iterations. The current forum was kickstarted about... oh... almost 10 years ago.

My primary forum was launched in February 2008 on MyBB, then converted to vBulletin within a month or two.

P.S.: Another March baby here. :p

3 weeks since the install...LOL ...I think I also have registrations disabled. I am well on my way to a solid community:D. I have a lot of ideas but a few must be completed to even start the community rolling so I will be waiting until I get at least the one thing I need coded for sure to start it on up....all the other things are secondary and can be added as they become available/I stop failing to be a coder.

Another victim here of the March Baby Syndrome....when I was going to school there was no vacation days in my birthday month...my sister always got the week of her birthday off GRRR. I know it isn't a leapyear thing but hey it's all the same crap every year in march. What is it with march don't answer... since BC times ..my reference :-/. March is for sure the Monday of months.

We're all March babies haha! I'm just glad I wasn't born a day later because I would hate to be an April Fools baby lol!!!

I just went through all the posts and for some reason have to be comic here and reply to this...
regardless as to when I was born...being that it is 4/6/11 I would be April's Fool baby :D

Sorry I had to and don't know why ( I do actually I just don't want to type all of it....which is funny because I typed more explaining this ... Damn ...I just proved my point. <facepalm>)

First post here but this is as good a place as any to start...

9 years active so far, 1 year of thinking before hand. Started with vBulletin 2.0 in Dec 2001 and currently run 3.8.7. I am here 'cause I am seriously thinking about moving to Xenforo instead of using the VB 4 Suite I have.

9 years active so far, 1 year of thinking before hand. Started with vBulletin 2.0 in Dec 2001 and currently run 3.8.7. I am here 'cause I am seriously thinking about moving to Xenforo instead of using the VB 4 Suite I have.
welcome to the community :)
Yeah do yourself the favor and try it out the software. With 9 years under your belt playing with forum software, adapting to using this system will be cake for you. I also have vb licenses (1 in my name and a slew under others as purchasers.) I do not use my 4 publishers suite (or any other any more for myself or under proxy) and if you haven't switched to that yet...I would seriously consider printing out your license from them and throwing it off of a bridge. No let me stop and be nice. :) XF really is the bee's knees when it comes down to it.

Have you had a chance to play with the ACP?

Another March baby over here. :eek: Barely made it to the surface in time (March 31st). Looking at so many others, I'm actually considering now whether there is an association between being born in March and the urge to build and run communities. :D

I've been running mine for almost 8 years now. :cool:

Welcome aboard, dear friend. As EQnoble has already mentioned, you might as well get your hands dirty and try out the demo.

Welcome aboard, dear friend. As EQnoble has already mentioned, you might as well get your hands dirty and try out the demo.

As others have suggested, XF is definitely the way to go. I obviously don't know how modified your forum is, but if its anything like mine you will get a little disheartened at the features that are currently missing from XF. I say disheartened because I'd love to move to XF now (finding time to do it though would be a problem!) but worry-ye-not, over the next few months XF will play catch up with the feature list and, I have no doubt, add a few new ones of their own.

It depends on your timescale really - applies to everyone watching XF with existing long-term boards to be fair. I know I will be moving to XF, how quickly really depends on how quickly the features are added that I need and I know quite a few are in the same position.

Back on topic(!) - My forum originally launched with TForum, moved to VB 2.27 within 12 months, vb3 in 2005 and we're still there on 3.87 now.

Thanks
welcome to the community :)
Yeah do yourself the favor and try it out the software. With 9 years under your belt playing with forum software, adapting to using this system will be cake for you. I also have vb licenses (1 in my name and a slew under others as purchasers.) I do not use my 4 publishers suite (or any other any more for myself or under proxy) and if you haven't switched to that yet...I would seriously consider printing out your license from them and throwing it off of a bridge. No let me stop and be nice. :) XF really is the bee's knees when it comes down to it.

Have you had a chance to play with the ACP?

Thanks for the welcome people. Been hanging around here for a bit keeping an eye on things since finding out about Xenforo a while back. There looks to be a couple of things missing at the moment for me to do the dirty on vBulletin but may buy a copy to play with until they materialise in one form or another. Still deciding on that one though. I will try out the various demos (again I think, been a while!) and see how things have progressed...

Cheers
Bruce

As others have suggested, XF is definitely the way to go. I obviously don't know how modified your forum is, but if its anything like mine you will get a little disheartened at the features that are currently missing from XF. I say disheartened because I'd love to move to XF now (finding time to do it though would be a problem!) but worry-ye-not, over the next few months XF will play catch up with the feature list and, I have no doubt, add a few new ones of their own.

It depends on your timescale really - applies to everyone watching XF with existing long-term boards to be fair. I know I will be moving to XF, how quickly really depends on how quickly the features are added that I need and I know quite a few are in the same position.
My timescale definitely depends on available features, I may still roll out VB 4 due to the missing things. I see by your sig that 2 of the things I would definitely need, you need too - an infraction system, paid subs of various lengths - but my additionals would be limited guest viewing and post/thread restrictions on certain usergroups (a forceable way ti get them to subscribe :) ) Once I find all that plus a few other bits I need I will do the big switcharoo...

Sorry everyone else for the off topics bits...

Cheers

12 years for me, website started in 1999, forum about 2001 I think. Started with Ikonboard, tried to upgrade to IPB but they never replied to my emails about conversion, so I jumped over to vB3. This year I will be replacing the whole site with a wordpress driven one (replacing a site that is hardcoded in dreamweaver, too much hard work for me now). I hope also to convert the forum from vB3 to XenForo.

We've been running since March, 2002. I started out with my friends taking pity on me and was happy with one post a day. I never imagined 9 years later and what it has turned into. It's a great forum, with really great members.

Top Bottom