How is the product going to be licensed?

Shamil

We've been told that xenForo is under a commercial license, and the pricing scheme will be competitive to that of vBulletin and IP.B.

However, do you think xenForo would benefit more from having a "subscription" style system, such as the prior used by vBulletin. i.e. paying for updates/support?

In my opinion, it is easier to commercialize a web service than it is to commercialize a web script intended to be ran on your customer's server. Xenforo could host all customer's communities for a monthly subscription fee, and have tiered rates that depend on a customer's resource usage. However, if Xenforo is to be setup as a direct competitor to customer-hosted commercial forum software, then this is not the route the developers will pursue.

In my opinion, it is easier to commercialize a web service than it is to commercialize a web script intended to be ran on your customer's server. Xenforo could host all customer's communities for a monthly subscription fee, and have tiered rates that depend on a customer's resource usage. However, if Xenforo is to be setup as a direct competitor to customer-hosted commercial forum software, then this is not the route the developers will pursue.

I wouldn't want that to happen at all. Software like MyBB and phpBB have free hosts everywhere, and they're all horrendous. However, teens seem to be happy using them, and it's probably because as a teenager you don't have access to a lot of money, and you can't set up things like PayPal accounts. I'm only 18 myself, and I've been using paid hosting for about 4 years. However, before I had learned of things like this, I was also running around finding free hosts everywhere, and after that, I would try and pirate software. Honestly, I feel like that's how it should work. Teens learn from free hosting, and this software just shouldn't be what they learn on. Teens shouldn't be part of the audience this software is trying to address.

(It's 3 AM so I'm a bit tired, ignore it if it was more of a rant than a statement. :P)

Top Bottom