How hard is it to build a Xenforo forum and manage it?

Extra Note :
If I have learned anything , make backups and if you don't have time, make backups and if you have time make backups.
I think every single problem I had with XF was serverhost or developer addon issue. Meaning it was not a XF forum software issue
it was a server/hosting or extra addon issue. The addon developers take time and pride to put there addons together.
But them working well, is up to you and any support from developers, not the staff at XF. Its a hard choice but so far a tad over a
year I am happy with it and the power alone it has is pretty amazing in my opinion.
Agreed, @WCFA

In fact, before I install or change anything I use a script I created to do a quick backup. Backups will save you a lot of time and headaches.
Thanks guys. One more question....
I did the demo with my friends, for the heck of it but the demo doesn't allow all features of the actual forum, does it?

I did the demo with my friends, for the heck of it but the demo doesn't allow all features of the actual forum, does it?
Yes and no, it will let you do base features of the forum but for what I have to assume is security reasons you have no access to upload files so you will not be able to setup most addons though I have not played around with the demo much having my own licenses to play with so maybe someone else could clarify.

Yes and no, it will let you do base features of the forum but for what I have to assume is security reasons you have no access to upload files so you will not be able to setup most addons though I have not played around with the demo much having my own licenses to play with so maybe someone else could clarify.
Okay thanks. Yeah I noticed I couldn't upload resources. Also, some Xeno forums have a signature function where it appears under your post. Is that a add on or a feature?

Heres the way I looked at going from free SMF which I still on my other sites to spending $140.00 for XF. Plus maybe another $200.00 in addons
and the resource manager ( I wanted but were not required), Free forums are fine and if all a person is going to do is post threads and update and chat then maybe XF is to much for them.
But I look at XF of more of a community software not a forum software. I am still on my site maybe using 50% of what XF can do and my site is pretty nice I think. But if you want to build a community XF is a good choice . But there is the $140.00 cost to buy and 40.00 per year for support ( XF forum here is free)
Addons many are free some pretty good ones. But the XF comes at a cost and possibly a small learning curve but people here will help. I have had about 95%
of my posts for help answered here.

That sort of plugin list will kill your forum. Each plugin is a potential security issue and something you need to watch and update. Plugins slow your forum down if they are not designed well too. I highly recommend holding off until you bump into one you NEED.
Agreed , I would say 99% of the time and issue I find on my forum is addon related. Why most are not destroying my forum they do not always play well with other addons.
Slow and steady will give you a forum with less issues or none.

Last edited:
A good place to "demo" Xenforo is TAZ (TheAdminZone.com) .. There is also a test forum to play around https://theadminzone.com/forums/testing-zone.455/

Plus you can test out great addons like Extended Likes ... etc.
upload_2015-2-25_16-4-39.webp

Personally I would rather loose all my work to addons than go addon-free but I am what you call an "add-ict". :D WHY WHY WHY do I always install too many addons :(

Ok no more puns... it wasn't punny...

That sort of plugin list will kill your forum. Each plugin is a potential security issue and something you need to watch and update. Plugins slow your forum down if they are not designed well too. I highly recommend holding off until you bump into one you NEED.
I have a huge list of addons installed (addons that I really need) and everything works like the first day.
in case some addon cause problem after uninstall it, everything keeps working smoothly.

Top Bottom