1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Does Xenforo Handle Links?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by mra0, Nov 18, 2010.

1. mra0

mra0 Member

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The thread or post URL is independent of the forum structure, as you can see from the link you posted.

It doesn't matter which forum that thread is in, the URL will always be the same.

All that is actually required is http://xenforo.com/community/threads/8179/
  3. Wired

Wired Active Member

Brogan: What if the thread title changes, how does that affect the link?

mra0: If the link changes, some URL shorteners allow you to edit them so that they can be redirected to new sources.
  4. mra0

mra0 Member

If the first shorten url is given out and then it merges with another thread, what happens then?
  5. mra0

mra0 Member

I think I wouldn't mind handling some edits, but don't know how it works when many things are changed. In wordpress, you have the option of several different link styles and wasn't sure if such thing exist in xenforo as well. I rather just ask so you guys that have more knowledge can answer.
  6. Brogan

The URL will redirect to the new URL; e.g. threads/test.1/ changed to threads/changed.1/ will redirect to the new URL and load the page.

In that case the newest thread will cease to exist as it has been merged with another, with the oldest thread remaining.
  7. mra0

mra0 Member

So in both cases, the shorten url will no longer work? OUCH!!
  8. Brogan

As I posted above, the redirect will work for changed thread titles.

For merged threads you have the choice of leaving a permanent redirect so again the link will still work.