RM 1.2 How does the resource manager handle PDF files?

DieselMinded

we have over 700 PDF's embedded on the site , we want to better organize them , is the resource manager the answer?

will the files embed?

i would like for them to be like the scibd embedded rather than the PDF embed add-on I'm using ... here is a demo of each

the scribd embed allows download and is scrollable on mobile phones where as the PDF embed add-on I'm using does not allow download and you cannot scroll on phone

SCRIBD EMBED
http://www.mymilitia.com/threads/medical-thread-pharmocolgy-iii.28292/

PDF EMBED ADDON
http://www.mymilitia.com/threads/combat-survival-and-evasion-manual.2401/

The XFRM currently does not support PDF embeds. I am hoping someone will create an addon for this.
So you will loose the function to read documents on site. Members will only be able to download it.
The resource manager has another major downside and that is that it uses versioning even if documents don't have versions. There is a version tab that no one needs on your site, reviews relate to versions and various related functions confuse members greatly.
Its not possible to post multiple documents in one entry.

Regardless of the aforementioned downsides, the RM is still a very nice resource manager.
There is this nice addon that @Sadik B created for me to display PDF icons.

PDFs don't embed with the RM. On my site, I have over 6000 documents in the RM. I have implemented a custom addon which integrates the RM with Scribd. Take a look.

http://www.club-oracle.com/resources/p2p-and-o2c.19/

What happens is that when a document is uploaded in the RM, it is also uploaded in my Scribd account. And on the resource page, the embed is shown below the document description. You can also build something like that if you want to use Scribd.

Alternatively you can use Google Docs, to show document embeds or even plain HTML5 <embed> tag. The problem with Google doc is of course that you have to figure out a way to upload to your drive when a document is uploaded to RM.

HTML5 embed will be easiest to implement, but it has the downside that it's not supported across all browsers.

Is this because there is no addon for it or is there a reason why an addon would be difficult to create for this?

I meant out of the box, the RM does not embed pdf files. One can create a BBCode which embeds the latest RM version pdf in the resource description with HTML5 embed, but like i said that won't work in older browsers.

PDFs don't embed with the RM. On my site, I have over 6000 documents in the RM. I have implemented a custom addon which integrates the RM with Scribd. Take a look.

http://www.club-oracle.com/resources/p2p-and-o2c.19/

What happens is that when a document is uploaded in the RM, it is also uploaded in my Scribd account. And on the resource page, the embed is shown below the document description. You can also build something like that if you want to use Scribd.

Alternatively you can use Google Docs, to show document embeds or even plain HTML5 <embed> tag. The problem with Google doc is of course that you have to figure out a way to upload to your drive when a document is uploaded to RM.

HTML5 embed will be easiest to implement, but it has the downside that it's not supported across all browsers.

i need your addon

with out embed the RM wont work for us

The way to do this within the rules of XenForo.com is that one person requests @Sadik B to develop the addon and pays the full amount. @Sadik B will deliver quality as usual. Then the investor can resell the addon to others (if Sadik agrees)
Thats why I have a private site full of addons like that.

they work fine
What if the PDF is 10MB and the user is on low bandwidth?

maybe we can get a few people together to make it worth your while

I will take a look at my Scribd integration. It's not complex, the main trouble is that I have to separate the code from my assorted addon. And by the way I have never taken money in advance for any addon. While I understand why some developers need to do it, I don't like taking money in advance. @Alfa1 can testify to that.

Let me take a look at my Scridb integration, If it doesn't take a tonne of my time, I may just release it.

The way to do this within the rules of XenForo.com is that one person requests @Sadik B to develop the addon and pays the full amount. @Sadik B will deliver quality as usual. Then the investor can resell the addon to others (if Sadik agrees)
Thats why I have a private site full of addons like that.

What if the PDF is 10MB and the user is on low bandwidth?

When using normal PDF embed the file hangs on load as a blank screen, and you cannot tell its loading, sooner or later it just pops up..

with scribd it must load one page at a time because its instant no matter how large the file is, only issue is if you try to scroll really fast on a large file it will studder a bit

Quick question , we have some technical videos too , does the Resource Manager allow the embed of you tube videos?

Maybe the media gallery is a better adaptation for my needs? , how hard would it be to get pdf support for the media gallery?

Top Bottom