How do you take care of Spam ?

tafreehm

Its a simple question, Also mention how do you take care of sneaky advertisers. Who act like a legit member but somewhat they post link of their forum or picture with watermark on your forum.

----------
For me I got two plugins to take care of forums. one is Xenutiles and XF Qaptcha . These two plugins pretty much covers it, now for those who bypasses these two plugins I would love to get another plugin who restrict users to post img and links before X posts. There is one addon available in RM but its kinda buggy so I have uninstalled it.

And for sneaky advertisers, I got very active staff and I do encourage users to report it.
---------

What about you guys ?

You can't stop the problem completely.

I recommend checking out my Registration Form Timer add-on but I think that similar functionality is added to XenUtiles now. Also a decent CAPTCHA. Though with Reg Form Timer and Q&A CAPTCHA, I haven't seen a spammer for weeks.

For those that do slip through, you just have to be reactive and respond as soon as they strike.

I recommend checking out my Registration Form Timer add-on but I think that similar functionality is added to XenUtiles now. Also a decent CAPTCHA. Though with Reg Form Timer and Q&A CAPTCHA, I haven't seen a spammer for weeks.

For those that do slip through, you just have to be reactive and respond as soon as they strike.
The answers to my Q&A are all in the recent spambot databases. Which is odd, since my Q&As were specific to Soulcalibur.

what is the url..? X_x

All the spam control addons available are only deal with registration process. What if there is human spam.. How wold you deal with human spam? Now I understand you cannot stop it 100% but lets just take a step further to figure out how to deal with those who have tackled all those hardcore registration tactics we have setup there.
For me I think if we put a constraint there for newly registered user that they cannot post a link/image until they make X post, that might discourage them a little. !!

The problem isn't big enough to do anything about it

95% of spammers are stopped at registration. You could do stuff to enforce rules on new members but then you are potentially ruining the real users experience for the sake of a handful of posts that can just be cleaned up on sight.

tsh.. 95... ;)
The Stop Botters should be increasing that percent a little

100% :) of bots for me, and I never get any human spammers since I block certain countries (there are multiple ways of doing this)
I also detect Anom Proxies, Transparent Proxies, DNS= reverse look up, etc.

3 of my own solutions all stop 100% bots, and customImgCaptcha is free and stops 100% bots (and can not easily be targeted unlike many other CAPTCHA),
but the proof is in the pudding, see which ones are still working a few months from now ... my bet is that the most popular CAPTCHA will all be broken

Think ReCapthca with Google funding.. the concept was easy to target*could be targeted regardless of the money put in (constantly altering the images). If you can train against a data set or solve the CAPTCHA with a limited attempt of clicks / actions, it's only a matter of time until it's programmatically solved. If there is no data set to train against, and the answers have an infinite range (or very large/hard to brute force range), the concept is much harder to target

QA had this advantage, but it had the biggest disadvantage.. the Q and A were easy to store and there are only a finite number of questions (users can run out of ideas that are still human friendly). Custom images QA could be broke in a similar way eventually, but are much easier to replace (think of a snap shot of your shoe, there are infinite pictures you can take, each will be unique when doing a binary comparison)

CustomImgCaptcha lets you know when a bot has solved it and it's time to replace the images...

Other than that, obviously FoolBotHoneyPot for bots, StopCountrySpam (with muliple proxy detection methods) for humans

(*It actually wasn't easy to target, since the images sets were frequently updated, but it was the most rewarding CAPTCHA to target due to the number of sites that used it)

what is the url..? X_x

All the spam control addons available are only deal with registration process. What if there is human spam.. How wold you deal with human spam? Now I understand you cannot stop it 100% but lets just take a step further to figure out how to deal with those who have tackled all those hardcore registration tactics we have setup there.
For me I think if we put a constraint there for newly registered user that they cannot post a link/image until they make X post, that might discourage them a little. !!

I've seen that Stop Spam Here deals with the process affer registration, see: Stop Spam Here

XenUtils has prevented a little over 10,000 spam bot registrations since November 30th :), past that some QnA

Top Bottom