How do you get members for your site?

zkaraca

I really want to know how others do this? Start a new forum i mean. I recently started a xenforo site about xenforo. It is for (potential) xenforo users (www.ilovexen.com) and currently there just a few friends on the site. But how will I get more members and make it a good forum? Where do I start?
Do you think I have a chance of making a good support site and promote this amazing piece of software?

I think you have to provide top notch support, even on bad days providing support beneficial to the member will give your site a good word of mouth.

Looking at resources on your site. Are you providing them? Or relying on members to post them? Or both? If your providing add-ons yourself submit add-ons not found here that people will find useful. Resources always have members coming back if they are both useful and developed on a consent basis.

I never had trouble gaining members, the hard part I thought was getting them to post. Anyway, goodluck with your site. :)

Thanks for the feedback. I will make some add-ons and hopefully some styles once I test some features. Right now I am testing out the software.

Normally, gaining members won't be that hard except I never tried to make a support forum for something like this which already has it's own good community. Is it wise to even try to make such kind of site or should i just release add-ons/styles here?

Thanks for the feedback. I will make some add-ons and hopefully some styles once I test some features. Right now I am testing out the software.

Normally, gaining members won't be that hard except I never tried to make a support forum for something like this which already has it's own good community. Is it wise to even try to make such kind of site or should i just release add-ons/styles here?

I don't think it's a bad choice. Support sites are very much welcomed in my books as long as the person serving the support can supply it and help that person in their hour of need. In short, Support sites are very much needed as a satisfied member of your site will only thank you for it and give the site a good word of mouth.

With regards to posting your resources. You could either do this a number of ways, post on both sites (and state that dedicated support will be provided at your site) and that you will provide support as time permits when your online if you choose to post that resource here. If your posting resources exclusively to your site then this might not get that exposure you want as it's not highlighted here where if your providing support people will see your resource here and venture to your site. Trust me, people are always looking for support to that problem and will register to get it.

Updates of your resource always gets that person to register if they know there's one coming or if they are curious they'll reg, post and ask and with that small time span at your site it's up to you to be helpful and gain them as an active member.

I'm sure other people will pop they're heads in and give you tips better than I can. :)

May i ask what the subject of the site was/is?

About the stuff people carry every day.

Wallets, watches, pocket knives, canes, cellphones. It was open to anything people carried on their person except that which is illegal or about PG rated. One problem I ran into was what is legal in one country is not in another so that kind of got let go.

It is basically and every day carry forums. From pocket combs to pocket lint.

Thanks Shelley. I think I will indeed do it like you stated. Posting resources on multiple sites but giving support on my site. Maybe I will get some others to help me out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks again and have a nice evening (it's evening here, don't know about your timezone).

I don't think it's a bad choice. Support sites are very much welcomed in my books as long as the person serving the support can supply it and help that person in their hour of need.
Support sites are also against trademark IF the company names trademark is registered, as the majority will contain support services as part of their trademark, ie. so the company doesn't have unauthorised persons providing half hearted support in conjunction with their brand. The site doesn't need to have xenforo in it, but the act of providing support IF the company name has registered their trademark in the country of residence the person is conducting the support.

I couldn't run for example, ilovevb.com and provide VB support upon it... without the risk of VB coming along and shutting me down, and if I didn't listen, then court, as VB have Vbulletin registered in Australia which contains support services for their brand.

Fan site is one thing, providing any type of support IF the company has trademark registered in the country you reside... then a big no no. IF xenforo does not have their trademark registered in the country you reside, then they can threaten until the cows come home, but there is zero they can overall do without that official registration in the country of residence.

Just warning you about providing support IF the trademark is registered in the country you reside.

Thanks Shelley. I think I will indeed do it like you stated. Posting resources on multiple sites but giving support on my site. Maybe I will get some others to help me out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks again and have a nice evening (it's evening here, don't know about your timezone).

There's a number of sites running on Shelley's model, http://www.ibparcade.com/ comes to mind immediately. Was toying with running a site dedicate to AI back in the day when I was supporting a add-on mod for IPB (didn't have time to learn the xml style language needed to expand the AI's "intelligence").

It is basically and every day carry forums. From pocket combs to pocket lint.
What about people who carry chips on their shoulders? Can they join? :D

Back on topic....
It's all about content. If your site provides something that others don't or provides it in a better way then people will use it.
We only had about 200 people on our site until we did something that hadn't been done before (F1 overtaking data) and now we have over 800.

What about people who carry chips on their shoulders? Can they join? :D

Back on topic....
It's all about content. If your site provides something that others don't or provides it in a better way then people will use it.
We only had about 200 people on our site until we did something that hadn't been done before (F1 overtaking data) and now we have over 800.

Well, if you can justify it as a everydaycarry item....sure, why not?

Top Bottom