How do you backup your stuff?

=MGN=RedEagle

I've been buying portable backup drives and going from one to the other... its a long process.

I'd love an automatic backup system and I have a spare PC. Is there an automated backup-over-lan system I can use?

One of the really nice things about Mac is a terminal program called rsync which it comes with. I use rsync to backup my Mac to external an external drive. Rsync allows me to backup very quickly even the largest folder with tens of thousands of files.

I use Ashampoo Backup Pro 11 for my local PC which sends it to my NAS drive and 2 online platforms at the same time (Amazon Drive and Microsoft OneDrive).

I've been using portalable drives and FreeFileSync but at 5 TB of data its starting to all come apart. FreeFileSync does not seem to do it and using external drives for video and game development is really a slow way of doing things.

The standard Linux utility rsync --- wrapped in grsync, despite not using Gnome.

It's fairly fast for zillions of tiny files, where file manager moving slows down.

Top Bottom