XF 1.5 How do I turn off the flood filter?

I would recommend that you don't bypass the flood filter for the Registered user group. If a spammer registers and isn't picked up by the spam settings, they could post thousands of posts in a very short time.

If you are going to use the bypass flood check, do it for a secondary user group that more trusted users are promoted to.

I would recommend that you don't bypass the flood filter for the Registered user group. If a spammer registers and isn't picked up by the spam settings, they could post thousands of posts in a very short time.

If you are going to use the bypass flood check, do it for a secondary user group that more trusted users are promoted to.
I have stopforumspam and the new google recaptcha.

I have stopforumspam and the new google recaptcha.
And both of those can be bypassed by human spammers.

I've seen have several threads over the years with XenForo admins disabling the bypass flood check and they have been spammed with thousands of posts. You would be foolish to turn off the flood check altogether, you should turn it off only for a secondary user group of trusted users. You have been warned!

Waiting 30 seconds to make a second post is pain. So I disable flood checking and use this add-on to prevent a spammer from creating 1000's of posts in a short time.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/new-content-limit.5078/
Really, it isn't. It's far less of a pain than limiting users to how many posts they can make.

A far better solution is the one suggested already, leave the spam filter on for new users and create a user group promotion for more trusted users where the flood filter is bypassed. Easy to do, no add-on required.

How did I put a barrier on them? The flood filter turns off once a user reached 20 messages. That is all.
Apologies, I misinterpreted what you meant, I thought you had installed the add-on mentioned above.

You might want to set an additional limit such as the member has to have been registered for say 7 days (and personally I'd have the message limit a bit higher). Currently a spammer would be subject to the flood filter for just 20 posts, then after that they would be free to spam as much as they like. Assuming 5 seconds per post and 30 seconds for the flood filter, they would bypass the flood filter after only 12 minutes (plus time for the usergroup promotion cron to promote them).

Really, it isn't. It's far less of a pain than limiting users to how many posts they can make.

A far better solution is the one suggested already, leave the spam filter on for new users and create a user group promotion for more trusted users where the flood filter is bypassed. Easy to do, no add-on required.
hmmm

cant you lower the time to whatever you want from acp? flood check means the amount of posts in X time

right? :/

hmmm

cant you lower the time to whatever you want from acp? flood check means the amount of posts in X time

right? :/
There is only one global flood check time (default is 30 seconds). It's not the amount of posts in X time, it's the time between submitting a post and then making a new one.

You can lower it but the consequence is that a spammer will be able to post more frequently. 30 seconds is fine really, though as I said you can use a user group promotion for trusted members so that they bypass the flood check.

There is only one global flood check time (default is 30 seconds). It's not the amount of posts in X time, it's the time between submitting a post and then making a new one.

You can lower it but the consequence is that a spammer will be able to post more frequently. 30 seconds is fine really, though as I said you can use a user group promotion for trusted members so that they bypass the flood check.
i mean this is linked to this right
upload_2016-10-12_1-1-0.webp

i mean this is linked to this right
View attachment 142082
Yes, that's the flood check setting.

I'd highly recommend that you don't have it set to 4 seconds, a spammer can post pretty quickly with it set to that. Assuming 5 seconds for a post, they can only make a post every 9 seconds, so in just 30 minutes they would have posted 200 messages. If it's set to 30 seconds, they can only make a post every 35 seconds and so would only post 51 messages.

Top Bottom