1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I stop animated gif avatars?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Stuart Wright, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright Well-Known Member

They are so annoying, but I can't find a setting to turn them off for people.
    Would have expected it to be a permission.
    (I don't want to alter server settings which allow people to upload animated gifs into post etc.).
  2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Here on XenForo? You can't.
  3. oman

oman Well-Known Member

I think to be able to use them on your forum in the first place you need to have ImageMagick enabled - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/unable-to-enable-imagemagick.68520/#post-718282
    You would likely need to disable it.
  4. Paul

Paul Well-Known Member

yup - if you select GD as your image processor instead of ImageMagick then the animations should stop... :)
  5. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

But that also stops attachments. I linked Stuart to another thread where someone had the same question and there was a hack to achieve it.
  6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It doesn't stop attachments, just use the default image processor.
  7. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

Do attachments not pass through the image processor then? How are thumbnails achieved then?
  8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It would stop the thumbnail animation, yes. But it wouldn't touch the full size unless it's above your dimension limit and animated attachments are unlikely to be.
  9. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright Well-Known Member

A simple restriction on the extensions of allowable avatars (with respect to Gravatar) would take care of it, wouldn't it?