XF 1.2 How do I remove dropdown menu's from navbar tabs?

Joe Link

I'd like to remove the dropdown menu's from a couple of the navbar tabs. I'm pretty sure it's done in the navigation template, but I'm not sure how to do it.

Thanks!

It would help if you mentioned what links would you like to remove.

I'd like to remove all the dropdown menu's, except for one (the Information menu, setup by Nodes as Tabs).

Forums
Reviews (setup by the Reviews add-on)
Members

Basically what's happening is my members (most older and computer illiterate) don't know they can click the tabs to go where they need to go. With the submenu's below the navbar once you click the button, the dropdowns are redundant anyhow (IMO).

Anyone? I know this can't be difficult.
Does this resource not help? You will have to find the associated navigation areas (and templates for the add-on) and would probably have to comment out the drop-down section (the split ctrl?).

I'll play with it and see if I can figure it out for the main menus... but the add-on is not one I have so I would not be any help there.

Check out https://sayapple.com and see if that is what you are referring to. I'm not going to leave it that way for long but at least you can take a look at it and see. I didn't mess with my forum one as it's set up different with an add-on but the main ones are the blogs, the wallapers, members, etc.

If that is what you are referring to, in the navigation template you will need to find the appropriate
Code:
                <a href="{$extraTab.href}" class="SplitCtrl" rel="Menu"></a>
and change to
Code:
                <xen:comment><a href="{$extraTab.href}" class="SplitCtrl" rel="Menu"></a></xen:comment>

Throwing Nodes As Tabs may not work with the above - as that is not an add-on that I use.

Last edited:
Does this resource not help? You will have to find the associated navigation areas (and templates for the add-on) and would probably have to comment out the drop-down section (the split ctrl?).

I'll play with it and see if I can figure it out for the main menus... but the add-on is not one I have so I would not be any help there.

Check out https://sayapple.com and see if that is what you are referring to. I'm not going to leave it that way for long but at least you can take a look at it and see. I didn't mess with my forum one as it's set up different with an add-on but the main ones are the blogs, the wallapers, members, etc.

If that is what you are referring to, in the navigation template you will need to find the appropriate
Code:
            <a href="{$tabs.members.href}" class="SplitCtrl" rel="Menu"></a>
                <div class="tabArrow">
                    <span class="arrow"><span></span></span>
                </div>
and change to
Code:
            <xen:comment><a href="{$tabs.members.href}" class="SplitCtrl" rel="Menu"></a>
                <div class="tabArrow">
                    <span class="arrow"><span></span></span>
                </div></xen:comment>

Throwing Nodes As Tabs may not work with the above - as that is not an add-on that I use.

"tabArrow" is not a default XenForo class just so you know :)

That was added for styling in pixelexit styles long ago.

"tabArrow" is not a default XenForo class just so you know :)

That was added for styling in pixelexit styles long ago.
Yeah, I didnt' think about that... but the SplitCtrl should still apply... That was a direct pull from my active style on that site. I'm not going to kick a default style as available for display just to demo it as a possible solution. I would assume that if that section wasn't in there he'd come back and ask. ;)

EDIT:
And I just created a test default style and made the modifications as above and it worked (minus the style specific - will edit original post).

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates -> EXTRA.css

Rich (BB code):
.navTab.members .SplitCtrl
{
	display: none;
}

Just specify the tabid which can be seen in the html source.

Anyone? I know this can't be difficult.

I hope you won''t mind me saying the following but here it goes. Why do not you set up a test forum and try things out there till you achieve the desired result, rather than waiting around for others to help you. Like that you learn as well and like that saying goes: "Give man a fish and he will eat one day. Teach him how to fish and he will never go hungry." Or something along those lines, but you get my point.

Code:
                <a href="{$extraTab.href}" class="SplitCtrl" rel="Menu"></a>
and change to
Code:
                <xen:comment><a href="{$extraTab.href}" class="SplitCtrl" rel="Menu"></a></xen:comment>

Thank you! That resource didn't help, but the commenting of that line worked perfectly! Along with this by @Jake Bunce my menu's are working almost exactly as I'd like them to. Only thing left to do is figure out proper behavior for when the Information tab is clicked on, rather than one of the items in it's dropdown.

Rich (BB code):
{
}

I actually couldn't find that in my EXTRA.css. @Russ may have removed it when developing the theme?

I hope you won''t mind me saying the following but here it goes. Why do not you set up a test forum and try things out there till you achieve the desired result, rather than waiting around for others to help you. Like that you learn as well and like that saying goes: "Give man a fish and he will eat one day. Teach him how to fish and he will never go hungry." Or something along those lines, but you get my point.

I don't mind at all. While this would be ideal, at this point, between my day job and my business, I just don't have the time to setup a test forum and learn. But before you think I'm using that as an excuse, June 1 is my last day :D I'm finally to the point where I'm able to quit and focus on my forums. My intent is to learn PHP and CSS, so I won't have to ask so many dumb questions ;)

Thank you! That resource didn't help, but the commenting of that line worked perfectly! Along with this by @Jake Bunce my menu's are working almost exactly as I'd like them to. Only thing left to do is figure out proper behavior for when the Information tab is clicked on, rather than one of the items in it's dropdown.

I actually couldn't find that in my EXTRA.css. @Russ may have removed it when developing the theme?

I don't mind at all. While this would be ideal, at this point, between my day job and my business, I just don't have the time to setup a test forum and learn. But before you think I'm using that as an excuse, June 1 is my last day :D I'm finally to the point where I'm able to quit and focus on my forums. My intent is to learn PHP and CSS, so I won't have to ask so many dumb questions ;)

That's actually the CSS to hide the arrow disabling the dropdown :), it needs to be added to extra.css.

Rich (BB code):
{
}

I know this is old, but I'm needing the same thing. I have debated just deleting the code from the Navigation template.. But for obvious reason I'd prefer to just throw in an extra.css code to keep the navigation template in tact.

Sadly this code didn't work, I assume it has to do with the way my style has things laid out but I'm unsure what to change it to.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom