How do I protect the founder's admin account from other admins?

FTL

I've been trying out an XF demo, which I'm quite impressed with. The initial account created by the demo is of course an admin account. However, I was able to create a second admin account and delete the first one with it, which suprised me.

When I buy XF, how can I protect the original, founder, admin account which will be mine, from secondary admins that I appoint to help me manage the forum?

Basically, my admin account should be impervious to any actions from their accounts (including escalation of privileges) while I should have complete freedom to do what I want with theirs, since I'm the site owner. Otherwise, if one of my admins goes bad, they could just hijack my forum and lock me out of it forever. Can't be having that.

I've tried looking at all the settings in the admin CP, but couldn't find any way to protect the founder's admin account, hence, I'd be very grateful for help with this.

Last edited:
Can I just remind everyone that explicit support should not be provided in the pre-sales forum (even if the support being provided is incorrect in this case).

To the thread starter, it is possible to prevent an admin account from being deleted by elevating it above the other admin accounts - once you purchase a license you can post in the support forums for assistance with that.

If you don't look at the forum

1616530479821.png

or breadcrumb

1616530502465.png

Then it's unlikely that a notice is going to make any difference.

This isn't a new policy - it's been in place for 10 years.

As many regulars know, those using unlicensed software are forced to post in the public forums for support - that includes pre-sales, suggestions, and off-topic.

If regular members aren't supposed to give support/answer within the public non licensed forum, then why give us the ability to respond? If this policy has been in place for 10 years - perhaps it's time to change the permissions to only allow staff to respond within the pre-sales node rather than all? Just an idea.

Whether it's wrong or not, DragonFruit was trying to help.

Once you're licensed FTL, if you have any problems then obviously post in the correct section or you can always PM myself. We're all a friendly bunch.

Generic support is fine - not explicit support.

perhaps it's time to change the permissions to only allow staff to respond within the pre-sales node rather than all? Just an idea.
Then no-one other than staff would be able to respond to posts - including potential customers.

Whether it's wrong or not, DragonFruit was trying to help.
That wasn't the post which was at issue - it was the subsequent ones going into detail explaining how to do that.
Hence why that post was not deleted.

The pre-sales forum support should be limited to responses confirming that something is possible, but not exact instructions as to how to achieve it.

Generic support is fine - not explicit support.

Then no-one other than staff would be able to respond to posts - including potential customers.

That wasn't the post which was at issue - it was the subsequent ones going into detail explaining how to do that.
Hence why that post was not deleted.

The pre-sales forum support should be limited to responses confirming that something is possible, but not exact instructions as to how to achieve it.
I guess context was lost when/if posts were deleted. It makes sense now.

Obviously, this information isn't hard to find by checking the manual, searching the forums, using nulled/pirate/admin sites, etc.

But still, the policy is, no explicit support in the public forums (for obvious reasons).

@Brogan Apologies for breaking XF's policies, that was not my intention. I'm also not pirating XF. Of course, I can't prove that, but I hope that you can trust me a little on this one, although I'm a complete stranger. I was running the demo, which expired last night and have the URL to prove it. I wanted to test how protected the founder account was, so nuked it shortly before the demo expired, as it wouldn't matter anyway, then.

I like XF very much, but I felt that this was an important issue in evaluating XF and needed resolution before I spent good money on it, among other considerations, hence posted this thread. I did play around with the super admin settings before I posted, but nothing made a difference. In fact, there was more going on than I put here, but I just wanted to keep it simple. If you would like discuss any of this further in pm, you're most welcome.

I'll run another demo and have a further play with this.

Thankyou for all your help everybody.

Not at all @FTL - that's what this forum is for, so don't hesitate to ask questions.

We can of course confirm whether x feature is available or y is possible, we just won't provide explicit details on how to achieve it.

I hope that clarifies things.

Then it's unlikely that a notice is going to make any difference.

This isn't a new policy - it's been in place for 10 years.
Yep, a notice won't make a big difference - other background colors for the post would as this would immediately catch the eye.

I've been around here for a long time and I do know the policy but quite frankly:
Normally, I just do look at questions - not at the forum where they are posted (as the just takes precious time).

Yep, a notice won't make a big difference - other background colors for the post would as this would immediately catch the eye.

I've been around here for a long time and I do know the policy but quite frankly:
Normally, I just do look at questions - not at the forum where they are posted (as the just takes precious time).
I guess I'm a little different. I don't use the "New Posts" to browse. I go into each particular area and that way I KNOW what that topical area is for and what is allowed and not allowed. I always go to Pre-Sales and Off-Topic areas first as force of habit and I've been doing that since I started using the script (04/2012).

Top Bottom