XF 2.2 How do I open link to the first page

MR X

How do I make it so if someone clicks
x0k8La9.png
it would go to OP's original thread, not the last reply?

This is how XF works, clicks take you to the first unread post, if this is your first time opening a thread then that's the OP's original post. I think it's based on cookies, you would have to develop an add-on to circumvent that.

Expected (and usually desired) behavior... if you use the Share this Post button, and share the first post, it will do that also... which in a way is expected behavior as if it's a topic you already have participated in, you would sorta expect it to go to the most recent unread/last read post.
But if you use the Share this Post button to share another post further down, it won't as it addresses the specific post.
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/where-does-this-go.209524/post-1594767

And for @MR X, what I'm referring to is the button with 3 dots linked

Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 3.05.46 AM.png
If you use that on the first post of the thread, you will continue to get the behavior you observed, but any other thread in that discussion it will go directly to.

What's weird... if you use the Share this Post button, and share the first post, it will do that also... which in a way is expected behavior as if it's a topic you already have participated in, you would sorta expect it to go to the most recent unread/last read post.
But if you use the Share this Post button to share another post further down, it won't as it addresses the specific post.
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/where-does-this-go.209524/post-1594767

And for @MR X, what I'm referring to is the button with 3 dots linked

View attachment 274909
Neat tip, but my forum is more for games, so say the game gets an update, and the OP updated the original thread; people hate going back to page one every time for the games they want to download.

I personally don't care, but this has been suggested a few times.

Neat tip, but my forum is more for games, so say the game gets an update, and the OP updated the original thread; people hate going back to page one every time for the games they want to download.

I personally don't care, but this has been suggested a few times.
They need to update the thread itself then instead of the original post. As said, it's expected (and usually desired) behavior.
Now, if you were using XFRM, then they could simply post it as an update (you don't actually have to have physical resources to use it) and the behavior you are looking for would probably work as they would get an alert on the "update" of said resource.

They need to update the thread itself then instead of the original post. As said, it's expected (and usually desired) behavior.
Now, if you were using XFRM, then they could simply post it as an update (you don't actually have to have physical resources to use it) and the behavior you are looking for would probably work as they would get an alert on the "update" of said resource.
Sadly our competitor uses XFRM, and I don't want to just be called a clone of them; we are using xenporta to handle that type of format or I totally would use it.

Then contact @Jaxel and have him check into the ability to add an "update" function of some type to it. It may cost you some additional funds to have that done. Another option is to look at AMS. It can create articles, discussion thread associated with that article and allow updates. And surely it can integrate easily into XenPorta since it can use the discussion thread (which AMS would create) and AMS has that ability to post as an update and send alerts to the users that are watching the article.
Yes, it takes you "out" of the direct discussion form itself, but I think the actual interface for the folks posting the articles/items would be a better interaction.

Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 3.17.28 AM.webp

Then contact @Jaxel and have him check into the ability to add an "update" function of some type to it. It may cost you some additional funds to have that done. Another option is to look at AMS. It can create articles, discussion thread associated with that article and allow updates. And surely it can integrate easily into XenPorta since it can use the discussion thread (which AMS would create) and AMS has that ability to post as an update and send alerts to the users that are watching the article.
Yes, it takes you "out" of the direct discussion form itself, but I think the actual interface for the folks posting the articles/items would be a better interaction.

View attachment 274910
Yea, I've contacted jaxel recently and will look into AMS once we have funds for it.

Yea, I've contacted jaxel recently and will look into AMS once we have funds for it.
Just a word to the wise... save quickly... it's WELL worth the money. Hell, ALL of Bob's add-ons that I use on my site are well worth the money. The only complaint (and this applies to XF in general) is that much of these type of add-ons are somewhat siloed from each other.

Just a word to the wise... save quickly... it's WELL worth the money. Hell, ALL of Bob's add-ons that I use on my site are well worth the money. The only complaint (and this applies to XF in general) is that much of these type of add-ons are somewhat siloed from each other.
More of the fact that my members want a more complex latest updates page with filtering options to allow for prefix selection/exclusion as well as tag selection/exclusion "gets more complex but not going to list it all out" nonetheless, I'm thinking this type of thing will be expensive + trying to find someone that will even touch my site is a challenge. "not an illegal site but NSFW content."

Top Bottom