How do I import only the VB userbase?

Renegade

I have a forum running on XF which has 100+ users. I have another forum running on VB which has 10,000+ users.

Now I want to import the userbase from VB to XF without overwriting the XF users. How to go about it?

You will be given the option of what to do for any users with the same name or email address.

XenForo does not permit the same name or email address to be used for more than one user, so you will be required to confirm what to do in the case of any affected users. The options available are to merge them or rename and change the email address.

http://xenforo.com/help/importing/

I don't know if this works, or what...but you could always delete database types before making the transfer.

Just an FYI, because the process in which xenforo does it, it forces you to transfer that particular section before proceeding. You won't be able to click any other button [like vbulletin does] until you click the first step or second step, whatever comes up.

I have imported two different vB versions before - what I say is true. So, whatever you don't want to import - delete it from database first.

And remember, BACKUP.

Oh.. in that case I must do it the way Carlos has mentioned because I don't want to import user groups. I want to put everyone as members. Thanks for the tips guys :)

Now I am battling a different thought, whether I should import the users or let the forum grow organically on its own. I was thinking that if I import I can send them newsletters once a month to remind them.

Oh.. in that case I must do it the way Carlos has mentioned because I don't want to import user groups. I want to put everyone as members. Thanks for the tips guys :)
No, no... use the importer. Take your site offline, run the importer to bring in the groups and then the users, delete the imported user groups, put your site back online. When you delete the imported user groups the accounts will revert to belong to the stock XF "Registered" group.

I did the import and the users are all onboard. However their post count also got imported. Rebuilding caches doesnt help either. How do I rectify that? There are users with 13000 posts whereas the new forum itself doesnt have 13K posts.

I did the import and the users are all onboard. However their post count also got imported. Rebuilding caches doesnt help either. How do I rectify that? There are users with 13000 posts whereas the new forum itself doesnt have 13K posts.

This will reset everyone to zero, so not sure you'd want to do this.

Code:
UPDATE xf_user
SET message_count = 0;

Or you could exclude certain member id's using:

Code:
UPDATE xf_user
SET message_count = 0
WHERE user_id NOT IN (1,2,3,4);

Run that sql query, per jake

Thanks a lot. My forum is new so it took hardly 3 minutes to complete.

I have another question though. Can I set the join date of all the users who have 0 posts to 8 Oct 2011?

In fact will there be any problem if there are users whose join date is much older than the forum install/start date?

Top Bottom