XF 1.5 How do I give Moderators the "ban" option?

ibrian

Could someone please advise how I can give my forum Moderators the option to "ban" a member outright, the same as admins can?

They have the "spam" option, which I know will ban a user, but I advise my mods against using that option as it also deletes all messages, which can leave thread discussions confused if responded to posts are removed - I prefer we use our judgement on removing content rather than allow for it to be done automatically.

Back to the question - which option should I be using to allow my site Moderators the option to "ban" a user? They already have group permissions, individual permissions, and Moderator permissions set up as best I can so I'm not sure which I'm missing.

Cheers for the reply, but I'm looking for the "ban" button. My mods can already ban using the spam cleaner - but I'd like to give them the option only to ban and not automatically delete banned member posts as well.

I believe you can only do this by adding them as a super moderator at boardurl/admin.php?moderators/
Incorrect. Only Administrators can ban.

Cheers for the reply, but I'm looking for the "ban" button. My mods can already ban using the spam cleaner - but I'd like to give them the option only to ban and not automatically delete banned member posts as well.
The option I've given above (which isn't the same as spam cleaner banning) is your only option for allowing moderators to ban users, unless you make them administrators.

The option I've given above (which isn't the same as spam cleaner banning) is your only option for allowing moderators to ban users, unless you make them administrators.

That's just daft that Moderators can only ban using the spam cleaner, and cannot simply ban an individual member as required. Definite oversight from the developers there. :)

I'm failing to see the oversight. Directly banning a user is an administrative action. As @Martok mentions, for anybody wishing to allow moderators to ban users, the workaround is to create a warning with a ban.

I'm failing to see the oversight. Directly banning a user is an administrative action. As @Martok mentions, for anybody wishing to allow moderators to ban users, the workaround is to create a warning with a ban.

You're missing the point that a moderator can ban a user using the spam clearner - that action bans the member and automatically deletes all of their posts. But a moderator cannot ban a member without the spam cleaner.

It looks like a development oversight.

But a moderator cannot ban a member without the spam cleaner.
Yes... they can. It's not a direct ban like you want - but it can be done.
You set up a warning action and a new warning with a high number of points. You then assign that warning to the user and it will give them the # of points assigned. You then have the warning action set to ban that user (either for a time period or permanently - there are many options). I'm pretty sure this is what @Martok is referring to.

Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 5.22.34 AM.webp Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 5.21.26 AM.webp

Yes... they can. It's not a direct ban like you want - but it can be done.
You set up a warning action and a new warning with a high number of points. You then assign that warning to the user and it will give them the # of points assigned. You then have the warning action set to ban that user (either for a time period or permanently - there are many options). I'm pretty sure this is what @Martok is referring to.

View attachment 126046 View attachment 126047
Yes it is. Very easy to set up, very easy for moderators to then assign the warning to (and therefore ban) the member. Absolutely no posts are deleted either as it's not the spam cleaner.

You're missing the point that a moderator can ban a user using the spam clearner - that action bans the member and automatically deletes all of their posts. But a moderator cannot ban a member without the spam cleaner.

It looks like a development oversight.

It won't help replying this. Some people here think that XenForo is the king of all softwares and nothing could be possibly overseen or missing.

But you are right. This is one of the missing features with XenForo. You will detect some others down the way. However, there always is an add-on for it available or a way to work around (like Martok decribed above for your problem).

It won't help replying this. Some people here think that XenForo is the king of all softwares and nothing could be possibly overseen or missing.

But you are right. This is one of the missing features with XenForo. You will detect some others down the way. However, there always is an add-on for it available or a way to work around (like Martok decribed above for your problem).
I'm not saying that the feature isn't missing (it would be useful, I commented on it elsewhere). I was replying to the incorrect assertion that moderators cannot ban members unless they use the spam cleaner. Using warning actions makes this possible for them to ban members at this current time without add-ons (and without using the spam cleaner) until/if XenForo decide to give banning permissions to moderators.

I actually can't find a suggestion thread for this. Closest one I can find is marked implemented and this was marked implemented due to the warning/action system being implemented.

I wouldn't necessarily call Martok's solution a workaround, as such. It is actually the official solution.

We rarely (if ever) use the Admin CP to ban users. Any user discipline (aside from the spam cleaner) is done directly by issuing warning points and an accumulation of warning points can lead to a permanent ban; or should something be sufficiently serious, we can issue more warning points.

If you're not satisfied with this as a solution, feel free to make a new suggestion thread. It's not an unreasonable suggestion.

Top Bottom