How do I find out if people are using the social media sharing buttons on threads?

CTXMedia

I'm considering removing the thread-based social media sharing buttons (at the bottom of each page) to speed up page loading - but before I do I want to see whether people are actually using them or not.

Is there a table I can check or query I can run to see how many times people have used the thread-specific sharing buttons?

Thanks,
Shaun :D

Next question: How do I remove the bottom-of-thread share links (FB,TW,G+) - is there an option or do I just comment out the code in the template?

I think it is in the template share_page.

EDIT:
Might be easier just to exclude that template from loading instead of emptying it, that way it should be easier to enable down the road.

And EDIT #:
Remove this from thread_view:
HTML:
<xen:include template="share_page">
    <xen:set var="$url">{xen:link 'canonical:threads', $thread}</xen:set>
</xen:include>

Template edit would definitely work, but I'd highly recommend (for the purposes of not outdating your templates in the future) to turn them off in the Admin CP.

Admin CP > Options > Search Engine Optimisation

You can disable the Tweet, Like and G+ buttons. Though this also disables them from the sidebar share area as well - you may want to keep them. In which case the template edit would be necessary.

EDIT: Turning these off does not affect the AddThis share options in the permalink pop up/

Top Bottom