1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I find out if people are using the social media sharing buttons on threads?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by CyclingTribe, Jun 6, 2012.

1. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

I'm considering removing the thread-based social media sharing buttons (at the bottom of each page) to speed up page loading - but before I do I want to see whether people are actually using them or not.

Is there a table I can check or query I can run to see how many times people have used the thread-specific sharing buttons?

Shaun :D
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Unfortunately this isn't possible.

The buttons are all rendered and handled externally.
  3. MagnusB

MagnusB Well-Known Member

4. CyclingTribe

Okay, thanks, I'll just ask the members if they use them and if I don't get a resounding "Yes!" - remove them. (y)
  5. CyclingTribe

Next question: How do I remove the bottom-of-thread share links (FB,TW,G+) - is there an option or do I just comment out the code in the template?
  6. MagnusB

MagnusB Well-Known Member

I think it is in the template share_page.

Might be easier just to exclude that template from loading instead of emptying it, that way it should be easier to enable down the road.

And EDIT #:
    Remove this from thread_view:
    <xen:include template="share_page">
        <xen:set var="$url">{xen:link 'canonical:threads', $thread}</xen:set>
    Yorick and CyclingTribe like this.
  7. CyclingTribe

Great, I'll have a look later on. Thanks. :D
  8. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Template edit would definitely work, but I'd highly recommend (for the purposes of not outdating your templates in the future) to turn them off in the Admin CP.

Admin CP > Options > Search Engine Optimisation

You can disable the Tweet, Like and G+ buttons. Though this also disables them from the sidebar share area as well - you may want to keep them. In which case the template edit would be necessary.

EDIT: Turning these off does not affect the AddThis share options in the permalink pop up/
    CyclingTribe and MagnusB like this.