How do I backup my database?

Hello

My hosting provider said I can't backup my database using the normal methods because it is over 10mb. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to backup the database?

Dustin

What kind of host are you on?

Can you run mysqldump from a command line? What about running your own software? Install Percona Xtrabackup?

Where's the 10mb limit coming from? Is that through Cpanel or some other front end?

Hello

My hosting provider said I can't backup my database using the normal methods because it is over 10mb. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to backup the database?

Dustin

Time to find another host. If they don't allow you to perform basic functions for your site (like backups), there's a serious issue. 10MB is peanuts. If they're crying about 10MB, it's definitely time to get the hell out before you run into issues.

Time to find another host. If they don't allow you to perform basic functions for your site (like backups), there's a serious issue. 10MB is peanuts. If they're crying about 10MB, it's definitely time to get the hell out before you run into issues.

I agree 100% it doesn't take long to get a 10MB database file. Infact just installing xF with just yourself as the only member pushes that. As stated you may want to find another host that doesn't restrict you like that. I have never until now heard of a host that makes it where you can't download you SQL database because it's over 10MB.

I am using a Chinese hosting provider because of the unique characteristics of China's internet. If I want to host outside of China I need to find a special hosting provider who can give me a good speed if visiting the site from China. https://linost.com/

If I use a service from a normal host like Godaddy, my site will be too slow in China. I don't want to find a hosting provider inside of China because it costs a lot and is cumbersome to set up.

Dustin

GoDaddy? **barf** Anyone who hosts with them deserves the problems they get. They are NOT what I would call a "normal" provider.

You really need to start researching hosting companies and what they provide. Don't limit yourself to one specific region. Look for providers in Europe. There are tons and tons of options out there.

China's internet is very different from other places. It isn't easy to find a host outside of China which is fast inside China, unless I want to pay more. Right now I am not paying very much and the speed in China is good.

Would PHPMyAdmin work for smaller databases like this?

Also as an alternative, if your hosting offers a facility called "SSH" you can use this to log in to your website (using a PC program like Putty) and then you have access via a terminal, you should then be able to manually run a command to backup the database into a file in your webspace, which you can then download off-site via FTP if you want.

As others have said, it's a pretty crap service that won't backup your database for you. But you have explained your reasons to stick with them.

China's internet is very different from other places. It isn't easy to find a host outside of China which is fast inside China, unless I want to pay more. Right now I am not paying very much and the speed in China is good.

for China-hosting, I would go with these guys:

http://www.aliyun.com

http://news.alibaba.com/specials/aboutalibaba/aligroup/index.html

Alibaba Cloud Computing - Developer of platforms for cloud computing and data management
Established in September 2009, Alibaba Cloud Computing is a developer of platforms for cloud computing and data management. Its goal is to build the first platform of choice for sharing data and make cloud computing services more accessible to the public. It is committed to supporting the growth of Alibaba Group and the whole e-commerce ecosystem by providing a comprehensive suite of Internet-based computing services, which include e-commerce data mining, high-speed massive e-commerce data processing, and data customization.

Alibaba Cloud Computing is a business within Alibaba Group.

I have added an old archived tutorial to the resource manager under tips and tricks that covers everything you need to over come your timeout problem..

Code:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/database-backup-local-offsite.1554/

If you need any further help just ask..

Right. And look at what you're paying for. You can't do backups because of bandwidth or size limitations. Cheap doesn't necessarily mean you're getting the most bang for your buck.

I agree with this post 100% In my experience with hosting cheap usually means crap. They place some kind of whack limitation on you such as the one you are having. You can find quality for an affordable price. Now will all companies have great speed in China? Probably not but you have to figure out the pros and cons of each host. Is a small drop in speed worth being able to do something as simple (and I do mean simple) as making a backup of your database or is speed inside China a bigger thing for you. I don't know much about China or it's internet limitations or anything like that but I am sure you can find a company that will provide maybe not 100% of everything you need but maybe closer to it than what you have currently.

Top Bottom