How did XenForo get so many users so fast?

I have a vBulletin, IPB and XF license all active... but i'm wondering if to sell my vBulletin license as I dont think i'll be using it again.

My theory is much like when jesus threw a fishing net into the water and caught 5,000 fish. Kier and Mike created an xennet and caught thousands of members. I tried to wriggle away but you know how that turned out. ;)

I moved to xenForo because :
(1) I wanted a good upgrade from vB3, and IB refused to provide that.
(2) The Future: vB is run my a visionless corporation now. The "new crew" isn't releasing good stuff.

I can understand people moving from vB, but people moved here from IPB? IPB is really good forum software.
VB 3.8>IPB>VB 4 and soon to be rewritten at Gold:
Xenforo>VB 3.8>IPB>VB 4.

I should know. I have licenses for each.

My theory is much like when jesus threw a fishing net into the water and caught 5,000 fish. Kier and Mike created an xennet and caught thousands of members. I tried to wriggle away but you know how that turned out. ;)

Yeah, I joined as soon as I heard about it only to keep up with what was going on... bought a license to support the gang here for their success and to make a jab at IB, but had no intentions to run it.

Yesterday I ended up playing with this software and this community more than I did with my own IPB community...

Something is in the water I think...... trying to get awwwayy... oh, why fight the struggle.. gives in to the shear joy to something new!

Jamie

For some reason I feel the urge to post this again...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

At the end of the day, it's clear that the brilliance of vB3 was Kier and Mike.
They made the product we loved. dearly.

When I see how Alerts work and the "Like" button, I see people who are looking forward. When I heard how the underlying core was structured and the platforms it used, I realized that vBulletin is doomed.

What *I* find interesting is .. for vB4,
Kier wanted a total rewrite. IB didn't.
Time has passed and one thing should be bloody obvious.
Kier was right. In an epic sort of way.

When I see how Alerts work and the "Like" button, I see people who are looking forward. When I heard how the underlying core was structured and the platforms it used, I realized that vBulletin is doomed.

Very well said. I think sometimes people don't realise that they are buying into a re-written developed from scratch product. This ensures that the product is in-line with the current trends and keeping up with the latest tech specs. With maturity, a little time and your going to see a product that will blow those fish out of the water, I did recommend jesus did the same, those 5,00 fish could have easily been 10,000. :)

i've read about xenForo in somebody's else post in vBulletin... not because of the lawsuit. Maybe someone should open a post titled How did you heard about xenForo ?

if only they had listened to Kier... this sounds like an "I told you so" ...

I'm confused... I come on here and there are so many people online! How did this happen so fast? I launched a forum last week and can't get anyone to sign up LOL.
1) creators were already well known long before they started this community, there was a 'fan club' if you will
2) they offer a quality product + (wanted) content and both have a lot of potential
3) the site has easy to use front end + navigation and no annoying elements
4) the forum is highly addictive ;)
5) the name + link was posted on well known forums and news sites
6) their competition made an announcement on their forums, which spread the news about this site even faster

Basically it comes down to this: build yourself a name, offer something people want, do it better than the competition. It's the same as if you're building a business.

1) creators were already well known long before they started this community, there was a 'fan club' if you will
2) they offer a quality product + (wanted) content and both have a lot of potential
3) the site has easy to use front end + navigation and no annoying elements
4) the forum is highly addictive ;)
5) the name + link was posted on well known forums and news sites
6) their competition made an announcement on their forums, which spread the news about this site even faster

Basically it comes down to this: build yourself a name, offer something people want, do it better than the competition. It's the same as if you're building a business.
All that is required is the last :)

Top Bottom