How can I tell who is online when looking at their avatar?

Dean

in memoriam
When viewing a thread, I see no difference between people online vs offline.

Clicking on the avatar does not seem to indicate that either.

What am I over looking?

?

The green background for all online users does not have my vote.
Because?
It seems to me the optimum way of doing it without introducing bloat, extra text or online image icons.

If/when I install XF then that is most likely the way I will do it, if it is possible to edit the template to do so.

A variation on the theme would be a green border around the avatar/container.

border1-png.166
border1-png.167

Attachments

• border1.webp
    border1.webp
    3.4 KB · Views: 111
  • border2.webp
    border2.webp
    3.5 KB · Views: 113
It is too prominent. We do not always need to know every member that's online. I for one am only interested in my friends and not every member.
And I think it's additionally to the profile, not additional to post. So bloating every post with big green background, is making it additional to the post.
A small bullet icon or clicking the avatar > getting profile : showing it's online. Is much more what I think is reasonable.

If it's not even going to be in the thread, it should at least be on the users' profile.

It is too prominent. We do not always need to know every member that's online. I for one am only interested in my friends and not every member.
As others have already posted though, they do want to know who is and isn't online and in some cases it is necessary for the way the forum operates (AVForums trading rules for example).
Not everyone is only interested in their friends.

The postbit works
because its clean
filling it up with bloat that is per user , like a green background and all that,
breaks away from it
its about the content, not the rest around it.
a small bullet icon should be enough, the location is what i can't decide on.

Reading through a post and seeing blue (default), green (online), red (thread starter), purple (staff) backgronds .. is not what i want
i want to buy a license to get simplicity, not a rainbow.

Reading through a post and seeing blue (default), green (online), red (thread starter), purple (staff) backgronds .. is not what i want
Same here, which is why I just suggested green for online.
I don't believe I suggested any of the others you mentioned.

Each to their own though.
As I said, it is something I will implement for my forum as it is the cleanest way of doing it.

I really don't like the green surround for the avatar... Can it just not just be in the profile bit when you click on their avatar?? I like the simplicity and cluttering that up too much would not keep it pretty imo.

And I think it's additionally to the profile, not additional to post. So bloating every post with big green background, is making it additional to the post.
A small bullet icon or clicking the avatar > getting profile : showing it's online. Is much more what I think is reasonable.

If it's not even going to be in the thread, it should at least be on the users' profile.

I think at some point you have to think of this as collectively rather than what suits you personally floris. For example, the "new" image I class as unneeded bloat. But I expressed my opinion about it and left it that. members wish to have an online status and they are merely posting ways to minimise the bloat as you put it.

I agree that a postbit indicator will just be unneeded bloat - perhaps the OP would be happy, as I would be, with an indicator in a persons profile only :)
For a comprehensive list of online members, there is of course the existing whose online page.

Hope this helps,

Rob

However I like to see at a glance who's online and as Stuart said it may be critical for some to see who's online when there is a deadline on an offer.

It doesn't have to be a big indicator just a dot as shelley suggested.

Personally I also vote for a small green dot next to the name or and overlay on the avatar... This is minimal in distraction and bloat but serves the job...

I definitely do not want the background to be another color if they are online as this is TOO prominent

Symbol next to the name is what I suggested. Though I'm also sure there are other creative ways to deploy this feature if we are going to throw a little innovation into the mix.

Symbol next to the name is what I suggested. Though I'm also sure there are other creative ways to deploy this feature if we are going to throw a little innovation into the mix.
I expect someone will come up with something that is clean, simple and effective.
Here's another option for example.

online-png.173

Attachments

• online.webp
    online.webp
    2 KB · Views: 138
I think at some point you have to think of this as collectively rather than what suits you personally floris. For example, the "new" image I class as unneeded bloat. But I expressed my opinion about it and left it that. members wish to have an online status and they are merely posting ways to minimise the bloat as you put it.

The only reason I use myself in an argument is to give an example. The example is then based on experience. It's not because I am thinking only about myself.

Another suggestion. Move the username above the avatar. To me, I think username above the avatar seems a better placement. Online icon next to it of course. (Mockup Below)

28rldvq.png

I think a little pip in the user info block on postbit, and some sort of indicator on the profile page and member card are probably in order, but as has been mentioned before, I don't want to destroy the carefully designed minimal chrome that goes with posts, so it's not going to be something as in-your-face as a green background.

Another suggestion. Move the username above the avatar. To me, I think username above the avatar seems a better placement. Online icon next to it of course. (Mockup Below)

28rldvq.png

I would prefer the username below on its original spot but a dot image like that will surely work. However i hope to see online offline indicators as an option because i don't plan to keep them on my site.

Looking at it more I have to agree, it does look better below the avatar. Another mockup with the (icon/pip) re-sized to 8px by 8px which I feel is a very acceptable size.

t02fx2.png

Top Bottom