How can I receive alerts but not emails?

I love the alert system in Xenforo. But I have a question... is there a way to still receive alerts yet not receive email alerts? Can users set that somehow in their preferences?

In the user profile alert preferences it appears that you can either turn on or off alerts but not merely turn off email alerts. Some folks want to see the alert on the website but not get so many emails.

Is that possible?

I am going to presume you mean alerts and e-mails as a result of someone replying to a thread, etc.

In your preferences, you have this option:

upload_2013-10-30_18-7-51.webp

If the second box is checked, that will automatically watch threads with email notifications.

You can also set this as a default in Admin CP > User Registration:

upload_2013-10-30_18-9-32.webp

Both of these settings are not retroactive. They'll only apply to new threads/posts and new users.

Thanks Chris. So... some alerts send emails and others do not right? Is there a list of types of alerts that also send an email?
With PCs it would be very important to be able to turn off email notifications,
while doing it.

Email notifications for new conversations, replies to existing conversations, and being added to an existing conversation.

15-20 emails in a short period of time...
Email provider smells spam.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris. So... some alerts send emails and others do not right? Is there a list of types of alerts that also send an email?

You can choose to receive or not receive email alerts for any thread or forum you choose to watch (it'll be in the pop-up menu you'll see each time you choose to watch something). You can also choose to automatically receive alerts (including email) for any thread you post or respond to under your Preferences/Alert Preferences. Conversation alerts are configured under Contact Details in your profile.

Top Bottom