How can I fix a "reverse DNS" issue?

Floyd R Turbo

This isn't really a xenForo question but I thought someone might be able to help me solve this, so here it is in off topic.

I have a Reverse DNS Mismatch.

http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=mx:turbosaquatics.com&run=toolpage

This is causing e-mails from my account to randomly bounce back or go directly to spam/junk
I believe this issue stems from when I switch off of GoDaddy to a xenForo optimized hosting service, and something on GoDaddy's end got hosed up, there was a "ghost server" that did not release the DNS properly, and everything worked fine until that hosting package dropped off (after a renewal grace period). After that, it took my web admin 2 hours walking GD through fixing their problem, which they insisted was not their problem. I kept getting messages bouncing back but I figured that I just had blacklist issues from the initial problem, apparently this was not the case as this rDNS issue is still there.

What's weird is that from my research, e-mails to AOL account should get outright rejected, and that was happening, then my host (or myself, can't recall) fixed something and now I get though to AOL addresses. But services like verizon, att, etc as well as some random local ISPs will kick my messages back with generic error messages like "HELO" errors and the like

My host service uses cPanel.

The domain is still registered with GoDaddy.

So is this a problem that I can fix myself, like a setting in cPanel or is this something that my web hosting service has to fix on their end?

Any help would be appreciated

Here is the SMTP test report. I thought that would show up by clicking the link but you have to click another link to get that report

Connecting to 192.3.94.6

220-hermes.my-cpanel.info ESMTP Exim 4.82 #2 Wed, 26 Mar 2014 22:07:57 -0400
220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
220 and/or bulk e-mail. [700 ms]
EHLO MXTB-PWS3.mxtoolbox.com
250-hermes.my-cpanel.info Hello mxtb-pws3.mxtoolbox.com [64.20.227.133]
250-SIZE 52428800
250-8BITMIME
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-STARTTLS
250 HELP [653 ms]
MAIL FROM: <supertool@mxtoolbox.com>
250 OK [653 ms]
RCPT TO: <test@example.com>
550-Please turn on SMTP Authentication in your mail client.
550-mxtb-pws3.mxtoolbox.com [64.20.227.133]:64826 is not permitted to relay
550 through this server without authentication. [884 ms]

MXTB-PWS3v2 3763ms

so I ran the mxtoolbox tool and found 3 errors

A Valid SPF Record was not found
Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner
At least one name server failed to respond in a timely manner
SOA Refresh Value is outside of the recommended range
SOA Expire Value out of recommended range

regarding the SPF record

Having a proper Sender Policy Framework (SPF) record increases the chances people will get emails you send. Without one, your email has a greater chance of being marked as Spam. Receiving this warning means you either don’t have a SPF record or it is invalid.

Sounds like I have 2 issues

For SPF, I get this result:

spf_check.webp

For the Reverse DNS, that's up to your host.

If it's a dedicated box, you should be able to change the reverse address. If it's not, then it may be unlikely that you can get it changed.
It does appear that it is a dedicated IP address, so it shouldn't be a problem to change. Again, depends on your host's policy.

Thanks, it sounds like these are both web hosting issues. It is a dedicated IP. So now it's just a matter of getting a hold of him.
I know with ServerComplete I am able to change the RDNS from their server control panel (not cPanel itself) but they have a custom interface they have written.
With GetDedi I have to submit a ticket to them to change the default RDNS they have set for each IP I have been assigned to reflect the physical server name.
An example. consoledaze.com is hosted on a server who's name is homer.twowheeldemon.com. The RDNS is set as homer.twowheeldemon.com and a DNS entry exists for that server name.
I have DKIM set up and use postfix as my MTA. OpenDKIM is configured to use homer.twowheeldemon.com as it's authentication and consoledaze.com, darkskywatch.com and wetalkcameras.com are all set up as trusted hosts in the config file for it. That way, any mail that goes out for those domains get signed by homer.twohwheeldemon.com and the odds of it being rejected are greatly reduced (or thrown into spam folder).

Top Bottom