How can a Moderator ban an user?

Puntocom

Sorry if the question is too obvious but I can't find the answer. I can't find the way a Moderator can ban an user or set to discourage. I have tried though admin.php but the moderator can't login there.

Any idea? thank you in advance!

How would you do it for an established user? The Spam cleaner is set up to work on new people only. (Default is <30 posts, <7 days since registering and <5 Likes.)

This means that if you want to temp ban an established user for rules infractions you need to go through the Admin CP. Unless there's something I'm missing.

I do understand that you can change the defaults, but out of the box it might be a tad confusing.

You can set the spam cleaner criteria to 0 for all or some of the values.
For example I have it set as follows:

Maximum message count:10
Maximum Days Since Registration:0
Maximum Likes Received:0

If you want it to be available permanently, then set everything to 0.

The zero settings will do the trick, but personally, I don't want a moderator banning an established user, that should be up to the administrator(s). Anyway, if someone has more than a few legitimate posts they are not likely to suddenly become a spammer, so I don't see the point in a zero setting that screens all established members' posts as potential spam. Isn't that an unnecessary burden on the system?

The zero settings will do the trick, but personally, I don't want a moderator banning an established user, that should be up to the administrator(s). Anyway, if someone has more than a few legitimate posts they are not likely to suddenly become a spammer, so I don't see the point in a zero setting that screens all established members' posts as potential spam. Isn't that an unnecessary burden on the system?
Most likely would depend on how you manage your forum some people may choose to have moderators with the privilege of banning users, that seems like an acceptable use case actually unless you plan on having an administrator watching the forum 24X7. As moderators are the ones dealing with the users they are the ones that most likely want to ban them, adding an administrator in the workflow may do things worse.

I have tried giving some of the moderators admin privileges, the problem is that they can access some pages like rebuilding the indexes that are potentially dangerous.

In my case my mods are the ones who do the banning, editing or giving of infractions. I am responsible for keeping the site going, working on tech support and things like that. As to banning established users, if they break the rules they get the stick like everyone else.

Lifting a ban can only be done from within the ACP.

You can always grant (limited) access to certain moderators if you want them to have aministrative permissions.

doesnt this spam cleaner delete posts and comments? a bit extreme for a ban.
what i wish is that mods could click a button and move offenders into a usergroup that i have predefined.

except i cannot let mods use the spam cleaner as it insists upon sharing ip addresses despite permission settings.
imo the spam cleaner should be used to address spam, and when that starts happening i would like to delete all the posts and whatnot. i hope there will be a division of spam-cleaning and member discipline in the future.

They can use the Spam Cleaner which is available by clicking on the Spam link on the member card.

Sorry, but that's not a solution!
frown.png

It's not possible to enter a reason for the ban, when you're using the Spam Cleaner. The reason shown to the banned user is always "Spam".

There needs to be a better way for moderators to ban an user or set to discourage.

Brogan said:
You can always grant (limited) access to certain moderators if you want them to have aministrative permissions.

What does that mean exactly? Is it possible to give separate administrator permissions to a moderator in order to let him ban users by avoiding the spam cleaner tool?

Administrators can be granted certain permissions, just as moderators can.

You just assign the ones you want to give at group or user level.

Top Bottom