Hosting Recommendations for 2018?

Depending on how much support you need, OVH might work for you. We use their DC in Warsaw. But, they've got locations in Canada and the US as well.

They're very inexpensive, you get a lot of hardware, and their network is not half bad. But, don't expect help, like at all, ever.

Depending on how much support you need, OVH might work for you. We use their DC in Warsaw. But, they've got locations in Canada and the US as well.

They're very inexpensive, you get a lot of hardware, and their network is not half bad. But, don't expect help, like at all, ever.
About OVH. If your website is connecting to any kind of services, you might find your IP range blacklisted. OVH have very hands-off approach to spam, so lots of spammers use their services and many server have blacklisted OVH IP ranges. I used to block OVH on my servers, some of my customers suffered massive spam waves from OVH IPs as well and I blocked OVH for them.

About OVH. If your website is connecting to any kind of services, you might find your IP range blacklisted. OVH have very hands-off approach to spam, so lots of spammers use their services and many server have blacklisted OVH IP ranges. I used to block OVH on my servers, some of my customers suffered massive spam waves from OVH IPs as well and I blocked OVH for them.

FWIW, I haven't personally had any issues with third-party services blocking requests. However, it's worth noting that there is no way in hell I would try to run my own mail server, for sure; it's not absolutely worth dealing with it ;)

We use Amazon SES and Mailgun for transactional mail.

But, yeah, hands-off is an understatement, haha. I've been sending them DMCA requests for the past two months about some software piracy and they've just been running me in circles.

@BobHarbison what does the 500GB consist of? Is it the DB? Attachments?

Something many people overlook is image optimization - it not only speeds up your site but when you're talking big data can save you a significant amount of disk space.

VPS's can't handle it? reddit.com is entirely in the cloud, on Amazon AWS. Imagine: autoscaling. The ability to spin up VMs as traffic grows, and the ability to kill those VMs as traffic goes away. Automatically. Without human intervention. They also have Amazon RDS which is essentially a serverless database server compatabile with mysql, mariadb, postgres and a couple others. The pricing is fairly inexpensive when comparing to bare metal. It's like MySQL hosted in the cloud and you get nothing but a database IP to connect to, no need to run your own SQL server.

Also... containers. But we can have that chat later.

Ok, let’s go with this: “My relatively limited search for hosting providers did not find a VPS host that offered the disk space that I needed within the budget that I have available.”

Ok, let’s go with this: “My relatively limited search for hosting providers did not find a VPS host that offered the disk space that I needed within the budget that I have available.”

So you can get 1 VPS at amazon and then use Amazon S3 to store/deliver your pictures. Should be easily within your budget.

With a budget of 250$ a month, why don't you move all the attachments outside of the server?
There is an addon for 20 bucks to do that, BUT of course this kind of thing can break when you want to get your attachments back to your server.
But with that budget you should be able to find someone to write a script for you, if anything happens.
You could probably save 200$ if you moved all your attachments to a storage server.

Bob, generally speaking for 500GB plus you're into either Semi-Dedicated or Dedicated server territory. Like sbj said you could look at offloading attachments to the cloud , that might be an option which would easily keep you on a VPS as I bet the majority of your space is consumed by exactly that. Apparently this method does have some drawbacks, however at your budget you are easily within Dedicated server territory as well no problem.

I've had good luck with Liquid Web. Their support is very good and they know what they are doing. You can visit their site here:

https://www.liquidweb.com

I've used dedicated and cloud dedicated hosting with them and have been pleased. I wouldn't go anywhere else. :-)

Here's a setup on their cloud dedicated plan within your budget:

Intel Xeon E3-1270 v5 3700MHz 4cores 31.4GBRAM 4Disks 463GB SSD RAID10 $239.00 / mo

I'm sure they have the traditional dedicated set up as well, but I'm sure it will be more than $250. :-)

Top Bottom