Hosting prices

The price actually sounds too good to be true. Worry about hosts whose prices are too low, such as GoDaddy. Many of these hosts are in the business of "upselling". The first few months will run great, but slowly performance will begin to degrade... then when you complain, they will tell you "you need to buy the next level up".

Also, be aware of "managed" versus "un-managed" servers. In a managed server, its like a shared server where the host handles everything. If you have an issue, you send in a support ticket, and they fix it. With an un-managed server, you're responsible for everything. They expect you to know how to run a server.

Am open to anything vps shared whatever. I just want some good reliable and at a good price. I am looking for under $20. I am starting now so I don't need all the power right away I just want something that if I need to go up I can do it with no hiccups.

The above notes by Jaxel and others on the pricing. A few years ago this would have been too cheap.

But with the likes of DigitalOcean and Vultr, its not the case anymore.

DigitalOcean is a massive company with an amazing infrastructure, very solid financial backing and a good profit margin.

They are cheap because instead of buying handfuls of servers at a time at RRP, they locked in deals to buy hundreds of thousands of servers at once.

Your budget is perfectly fine for an unmanaged VPS at DigitalOcean or Vultr.

Hell you could pick up three of the $5/mo DO boxes and setup a mini cluster if you wanted to.

I use Knownhost's SSD-4 package...
  • 5.25GB Guaranteed RAM
  • 80GB RAID-10 SSD Storage
  • 10000GB Bandwidth
Its $80 a month, but its fully managed. If I have any issues, I email them and they have it worked out within 5 minutes. They are a great host; which is why I've been using them for 6 years... never once tried to upsell me.

Top Bottom