1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hosting prices

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mikelowrey, Apr 29, 2015.

1. mikelowrey

mikelowrey Active Member

Hello,

Is a VPS with 1GB of RAM and 30GB SSD Storage for $15/month good? comparing to a shared server?
    Thanks!

2. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

The price actually sounds too good to be true. Worry about hosts whose prices are too low, such as GoDaddy. Many of these hosts are in the business of "upselling". The first few months will run great, but slowly performance will begin to degrade... then when you complain, they will tell you "you need to buy the next level up".

Also, be aware of "managed" versus "un-managed" servers. In a managed server, its like a shared server where the host handles everything. If you have an issue, you send in a support ticket, and they fix it. With an un-managed server, you're responsible for everything. They expect you to know how to run a server.

AndyB likes this.
  3. mikelowrey

mikelowrey Active Member

@Jaxel thanks for the info, I noticed with this hosting, I just installed a fresh copy and takes a while to load, I guess I am gonna have to jump ship.

4. sbj

sbj Well-Known Member

SneakyDave likes this.
  5. mikelowrey

mikelowrey Active Member

So you would say vultr vs nimbus?

6. The Dark Wizard

The Dark Wizard Well-Known Member

Are you looking only for VPS? If so, I recommend linode.com

7. Jesepi

Jesepi Well-Known Member

8. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

Depends what you need it for really and if you want managed or unmanaged. IIRC, Nimbus only offers managed services and I know Vultr only offers unmanaged.

9. mikelowrey

mikelowrey Active Member

Am open to anything vps shared whatever. I just want some good reliable and at a good price. I am looking for under $20. I am starting now so I don't need all the power right away I just want something that if I need to go up I can do it with no hiccups.

10. Ernest L. Defoe

Ernest L. Defoe Well-Known Member

I highly recommend @xenBoost Mike. His servers are nice and powerful and you get options such as memcached and elasticsearch for free (You still have to purchase the ES addon from xF though) plus awesome support.

The Forum Heroes likes this.
  11. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

12. Brogan

You still haven't declared it as an affiliate link.

13. Brogan

Not for everyone, no.

Hence the rule.

Edit: And now I see all of the posts have been deleted, making my posts look completely out of place :rolleyes:

SneakyDave, gwordz, Amaury and 2 others like this.
  14. ugur

ugur Member

I've never seen anything so ridiculous
    I delete messages

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  15. AdamD

AdamD Well-Known Member

Sure you weren't talking to yourself? :p
    I think it's a very good rule to have, it's just a shame people can't be genuine in the first place, then we wouldn't need such rules
    Oh well :p

16. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

Because saying
    would have been so difficult.

Valhalla, Martok, AdamD and 2 others like this.
  17. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

Rules 'R Hard

18. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

The above notes by Jaxel and others on the pricing. A few years ago this would have been too cheap.

But with the likes of DigitalOcean and Vultr, its not the case anymore.

DigitalOcean is a massive company with an amazing infrastructure, very solid financial backing and a good profit margin.

They are cheap because instead of buying handfuls of servers at a time at RRP, they locked in deals to buy hundreds of thousands of servers at once.

Your budget is perfectly fine for an unmanaged VPS at DigitalOcean or Vultr.

Hell you could pick up three of the $5/mo DO boxes and setup a mini cluster if you wanted to.

19. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

I use Knownhost's SSD-4 package...
    • 5.25GB Guaranteed RAM
    • 80GB RAID-10 SSD Storage
    • 10000GB Bandwidth
    Its $80 a month, but its fully managed. If I have any issues, I email them and they have it worked out within 5 minutes. They are a great host; which is why I've been using them for 6 years... never once tried to upsell me.