What's the better hosting plan for XenForo self-hosted?

Manny

Hello,

Is there is an obvious better choice for self-installing Xenforo between these two hosting plans with Porkbun (where I purchased my domain)?

I am a novice. :)

PHP hosting vs cPanel hosting:

1710898381556.webp
1710898349660.webp

Go with shared cpanel hosting. Depending where you are in the world. You could probably find better deals.

I recommend Hawk Host. I have an affiliate link if you're interested in checking them out.

Would you consider XF Cloud where all this is taken care of for you? Literally choose a plan, fill in the form, pay, instant forum!

I've been on it for over a year now and it works very well. Click the NerdZone link in my siggy if you want to get a feel for it.

That's a weird way to layout hosting plans.

cPanel recently started charging and arm and a leg, and then a fee per arm and leg for cPanel, so that's probably why that plan costs more. They both have PHP. cPanel just makes managing your account SO MUCH easier.

Before choosing a host I recommend hitting up webhostingtalk.com and doing a Search to see what people have to say about them.

I also run a hosting company, but I'm new to this forum and I don't really know the rules here on talking about your own businesses.

That's a weird way to layout hosting plans.

cPanel recently started charging and arm and a leg, and then a fee per arm and leg for cPanel, so that's probably why that plan costs more. They both have PHP. cPanel just makes managing your account SO MUCH easier.

Before choosing a host I recommend hitting up webhostingtalk.com and doing a Search to see what people have to say about them.

I also run a hosting company, but I'm new to this forum and I don't really know the rules here on talking about your own businesses.
I went with KnownHost and I'm quite pleased with them thus far. Thanks for chiming in though, @cherrysodastar, and for sharing the link. ;)

My host used to be cPanel but went to DirectAdmin last year. Never heard why but it gets the job done so I am living with it.
cPanel recently started charging and arm and a leg, and then a fee per arm and leg for cPanel, so that's probably why that plan costs more.
This has me wondering if cost was the reason, though they finally bumped our cost to their current plan so we also had an increase.

I've been with Ionos (formerly 1and1) for over 25 years, and they have served me well. They have a good selection of hosting options at very reasonable prices.

UK Site:

USA site:

German site:

See if they are in your locale if any of the above don't fit.

My host used to be cPanel but went to DirectAdmin last year. Never heard why but it gets the job done so I am living with it.

This has me wondering if cost was the reason, though they finally bumped our cost to their current plan so we also had an increase.

The pricing changes have been significant, as well as the overall licensing model making it much more expensive per client.

with Porkbun (where I purchased my domain)?
You should purchase your future domains with cloudflare because they dont take any money on top of what it costs to pay the registrar so they should have lowest prices.

And... man the number of times they call their php secure and require a "screening" for ssh is very off putting.

What's up with cpanel, where are the linux commandline homies at bootstrap our own cloud instance at like $2.5 per month for a small site with vultr.

If you're looking for cheap and reliable, a good option is deploying a server on Vultr with Regular Cloud Compute (1 vCPU, 1 GB RAM, 25 GB SSD, 1 TB bandwidth) with Plesk Admin SE (3 domains for free) for $5/mo.

If I recall from a previous thread about their ToS, XF uses Vultr for their Cloud forum solution.

You should purchase your future domains with cloudflare because they dont take any money on top of what it costs to pay the registrar so they should have lowest prices.

And... man the number of times they call their php secure and require a "screening" for ssh is very off putting.

What's up with cpanel, where are the linux commandline homies at bootstrap our own cloud instance at like $2.5 per month for a small site with vultr.
With namecheap if you want a good CPANEL their stella hosting is actually awesome. It's paid annually.

Top Bottom