Hosting for new forum

Pride1760

Hi,

I would like to start a new forum. I don't think there will ever be more than 1,000 members. Keeping that in mind, which host and plan do you recommend?

I thought shared hosting would be fine but hostgator said that Xenforo will require minimum VPS level 3 even for a new forum.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Don't know if it is xenForo effect but now they are after me to upgrade my sever plan... I can't even take a DB backup without disturbing the site. I have to schedule the backup through their support channel :(

No doubt, will be switching soon.

they were trying to push the vps packages :(

when I pressed further, they said that xenforo will work with shared hosting, but I will face problems when the forum size increases...(isn't that obvious?)

I ran a decent sized vB4 forum on hostgator for over a year, at peak times I had 250 concurrent members on the site, it was barely slow. So if it can run that on one of their shared hosting plans, you shouldn't have any trouble with xF at all.

I have always run my forums on a shared hosting package and it really bugs me that companies try to get you to buy a fps package or something more expensive to run just a forum. It's easy enough to get it up and running on a shared package and is the best way to start, it's usually pretty cheap and allows you to almost test the water to see if your concept is going to need something bigger.

I also always go with small companies as they usually care more about your custom, but this may not always be the case. I have recently moved to a new host and they can't do enough for me.

I ran a decent sized vB4 forum on hostgator for over a year, at peak times I had 250 concurrent members on the site, it was barely slow. So if it can run that on one of their shared hosting plans, you shouldn't have any trouble with xF at all.
Not sure when you did that, but in 2009 they had a limit of 25 concurrent connections for hg shared hosting. We had issues when some hot topics were discussed with 80 people quickly clicking on things..

I have always run my forums on a shared hosting package and it really bugs me that companies try to get you to buy a fps package or something more expensive to run just a forum. It's easy enough to get it up and running on a shared package and is the best way to start, it's usually pretty cheap and allows you to almost test the water to see if your concept is going to need something bigger.

I also always go with small companies as they usually care more about your custom, but this may not always be the case. I have recently moved to a new host and they can't do enough for me.
It really depends on the forum software, and how good/how many people on the shared hosting server.

Not sure when you did that, but in 2009 they had a limit of 25 concurrent connections for hg shared hosting. We had issues when some hot topics were discussed with 80 people quickly clicking on things..

It was a year ago that I stopped hosting there, so 2010-2011. I had the middle package It hink, can't remember what it was, maybe it had something more to it, no idea. But, it worked just fine for us. I still use 'em for my smaller projects, but always on the lookout for another good host. Right now I host with a friend on their VPS so no need for much else, but for temp stuff and whatnot where I want a nice clean site to fool with, I still use HG.

Top Bottom