Hosting Advice

Quite literally everything with OVH is automated...that's how you get a server in 120 seconds. Nobody actually sits there and provisions the server for you. Same goes for the destruction of servers for unpaid bills. No real person actually looks at your account to see that you paid your bills on time in the past, or if you have credit in your account.
I'm sure that's the case...but, that doesn't make it ok when auto pay is on? And I don't care if it's automated or not it's still a crime.

ETA I think my whole point is that their script should be better. Auto pay should work, credit in my account should count towards my bill, I should be properly notified before removing a server, anything really. They screwed up just about everything so I don't understand your defense of them, their service being automated poorly is kind of my point to be cautious.

Last edited:
I'm sure that's the case...but, that doesn't make it ok when auto pay is on? And I don't care if it's automated or not it's still a crime.

ETA I think my whole point is that their script should be better. Auto pay should work, credit in my account should count towards my bill, I should be properly notified before removing a server, anything really. They screwed up just about everything so I don't understand your defense of them, their service being automated poorly is kind of my point to be cautious.

It's a crime? Turning a server off and deleting the data because they thought the bill wasn't paid? Is that a misdemeanor or a felony?

I wasn't defending them at all. There are plenty of OVH fanboys here on the forum for that. I was just explaining why it happened. That's the problem with companies like that who rely on automation for everything. There are no real people that oversee any of it. Your complaint is nowhere near the first I've heard, of the exact same thing happening.

But if you want bargain basement prices, problems like this are the real price you pay. Were the savings worth it? ;) Shockingly, people apparently don't seem to understand that billing personnel cost real money. Support personnel cost money, etc. At those prices and the volume they deal with, there is no way they can afford to have real people oversee that stuff.

It's a crime? Turning a server off and deleting the data because they thought the bill wasn't paid? Is that a misdemeanor or a felony?
Familiar with idioms or figurative speech?
At those prices and the volume they deal with, there is no way they can afford to have real people oversee that stuff.
That is absolutely no excuse. If I make a claim that I will let you live in my house for $10/mo and then I burn the house down (or have a script that sets off a match so I don't have to bother watching it) without notice that is not ok, I cannot just claim that I get to do as I please because the cost was low and I forgot to ask you for the rent. I think it reasonable to be cautious with OVH for this very reason, as I originally stated.

Familiar with idioms or figurative speech?

I am, but judging on the posts over on WHT all the time, people actually do think it's a crime. That and the fact that every website using the cheapest servers possible is losing tens of thousands of dollars every time there is an outage. So you just never know. I had no idea if you were one of those people or not.

That is absolutely no excuse. If I make a claim that I will let you live in my house for $10/mo and then I burn the house down (or have a script that sets off a match so I don't have to bother watching it) without notice that is not ok, I cannot just claim that I get to do as I please because the cost was low and I forgot to ask you for the rent. I think it reasonable to be cautious with OVH for this very reason, as I originally stated.

Like I said, I'm not making excuses for them. The fanboys here (and there are plenty) have been noticeably silent. Hmmmmm. The warning as far as I'm concerned is the price. When you buy the cheapest server you can possibly find, things like this are to be expected. Corners have to be cut somewhere.

Top Bottom