Hosting advice

Lukas W.

After 5 years I've finally hit the point where my cheap shared hosting web(trash)space isn't good enough for my project anymore, so I'm looking for advices on what hosting solution to choose as new alternative.

A few things:
  • I'm expecting to peak user activity at around 100-200 simultaneously active users at for the first year or so, once I start to actively spread the word about the page. If the solution is fluently upgradeable later on, that would be welcome.
  • Images are a big thing, so maybe a little extra storage space wouldn't hurt too badly. Upgrade options for that would be welcome if available. Beside the SSL image proxy, most of them will be avatar size however, so no extra-large images that need to be accounted for.
  • SSL is required, doesn't matter if I have to install it myself (I'll manage somehow) or it comes pre-installed. With OpenSSL and stuff around, I don't want to be charged 20 bucks a month for it however.
  • I don't necessarily need fancy stuff like CPanel or so, an ftp connection and phpmyadmin will do fine. Won't say no to any management software that comes on top (for free?) however.
  • A single database will suffice if necessary. If two are in, I could host my test installation on the server as well, so that wouldn't be too bad.
  • I have an external domain, so being able to set that up to work with the server would be a must, but I think that shouldn't be too hard not to fit.
  • Target audience sits around central europe, so a server location near to that would be preferred.
  • Budget is not set, so I'm open to hear out all suggestions.

Thanks for the valuable advices. Do you happen to know if hostus' offers are upgradeable? And do they have anything pre-installed or are they completely plain?

Thanks for the valuable advices. Do you happen to know if hostus' offers are upgradeable? And do they have anything pre-installed or are they completely plain?

HostUS vps' are upgradable - although you have to open a ticket to get it done.

They're completely plain - you get a load of ISO's, as well as some pre-built templates, but they're all the minimal install.

I've been using HostUS for a while, since it started (I've gone back and forth between them and others).

Liam

I've read through lowendbox.com a little and one offer that drew my attention was digitalocean. Their options to upgrade on-the-fly and add server storage as required seem to be really promising.

I have dealt with probably a dozen hosts over the years, but I've never been with one as reliable, fast, and responsive as KnownHost. Bad name for a company, I think. But I love the place.

I've read through lowendbox.com a little and one offer that drew my attention was digitalocean. Their options to upgrade on-the-fly and add server storage as required seem to be really promising.

Linode has this too and you also get more CPU power and storage for your money.

I use inmotion hosting the VPS is amazing, even their shared hosting is so much better than others. Have a look into their website they have very adorable and the best VPS servers. I spent 9 years with other companies and find inmotion the best and using it more than 2 years.
Editing post.. adding here forgot to tell you I run all kind of sites social network, dating, news, forum, video sharing hosting website around 6 sites I have and they work perfect.

After 5 years I've finally hit the point where my cheap shared hosting web(trash)space isn't good enough for my project anymore, so I'm looking for advices on what hosting solution to choose as new alternative.

A few things:
  • I'm expecting to peak user activity at around 100-200 simultaneously active users at for the first year or so, once I start to actively spread the word about the page. If the solution is fluently upgradeable later on, that would be welcome.
  • Images are a big thing, so maybe a little extra storage space wouldn't hurt too badly. Upgrade options for that would be welcome if available. Beside the SSL image proxy, most of them will be avatar size however, so no extra-large images that need to be accounted for.
  • SSL is required, doesn't matter if I have to install it myself (I'll manage somehow) or it comes pre-installed. With OpenSSL and stuff around, I don't want to be charged 20 bucks a month for it however.
  • I don't necessarily need fancy stuff like CPanel or so, an ftp connection and phpmyadmin will do fine. Won't say no to any management software that comes on top (for free?) however.
  • A single database will suffice if necessary. If two are in, I could host my test installation on the server as well, so that wouldn't be too bad.
  • I have an external domain, so being able to set that up to work with the server would be a must, but I think that shouldn't be too hard not to fit.
  • Target audience sits around central europe, so a server location near to that would be preferred.
  • Budget is not set, so I'm open to hear out all suggestions.
https://www.cloudaccess.net are worldwide and are very good. They have everything you need.

Top Bottom