Hostgator VPS any good or crap?

IMHO, if you're half serious about setting up websites, don't even think of ever using a shared host... ever. The costs now are negligible annually (maybe $100-140 difference?) and the performance and reliability upgrade is worth far more than that piddling number.
I use shared hosting and have done for 3 years.
It serves a purpose and generally I have had no complaints.

The cost difference you stated seems wildly optimistic to me.
I pay less than £50 per year for shared hosting.
I have yet to see anyone offering VPS hosting for just over £100 a year.

What about the host owning it's own data centers or renting them? Does that make a difference in terms of speed or how things get done?

VPS is shared hosting.
True although shared in the parlance of most webhosting discussions, e.g. shared versus dedicated partitions versus fully dedicated.

I use shared hosting and have done for 3 years. It serves a purpose and generally I have had no complaints.

The cost difference you stated seems wildly optimistic to me. I pay less than £50 per year for shared hosting. I have yet to see anyone offering VPS hosting for just over £100 a year.
If all you need is a page to put up for a low trafficked site (e.g. someone's resume, no interactive elements except for mail list adding, contact form) that might work. I find that shared hosting rarely works well on any website that has community elements - chances are that you or some other client will install something that will suck resources, including growing sites that hog the resources and don't belong on a shared server. Unless your host is very good with ensuring that there are a limited number of customers sharing a server and monitor often (very rare), you'll be calling your host often about the slowdowns (see "GoDaddy" if you like regular calling patterns.) Key issue - you have no control over how the resources are allocated. Imagine 300 semi-active forums sharing one server.

With regard to VPS pricing, take a look at the pricing at Neosurge and it will cost you anywhere from $7 and up -- with cPanel it's in the $20 range for the lowest end VPS. Most cpanel shared hosting costs at least $10. I looked at ServInt and it's $50/month but, as I said, if you look carefully you will find cheap VPS options out there and the key is just to find reliable ones. Total dollar difference here is roughly $100-150 for the entire year - as I said, if you're really looking to promote your XenForo or other social networking/community oriented site, this investment is small. With a more responsive site, the ads from the benefits should pay for the cost of noticeably better performance.

What about the host owning it's own data centers or renting them? Does that make a difference in terms of speed or how things get done?
Probably more an issue of cost than anything else. I'd say you really want to know what you're doing or have someone nearby who does if you're owning and colocating.

If all you need is a page to put up for a low trafficked site (e.g. someone's resume, no interactive elements except for mail list adding, contact form) that might work.
Again, I disagree.
We have a decent enough community and it's growing all the time.

Unless your host is very good with ensuring that there are a limited number of customers sharing a server and monitor often (very rare), you'll be calling your host often about the slowdowns (see "GoDaddy" if you like regular calling patterns.)
In three years, I can count on the fingers of one hand the times I've had problems due to other domains running scripts which sucked up all the server resources.

Don't get me wrong, I plan to move to a VPS as soon as possible, I just can't justify the cost for what is a fairly small site.

I've finally relented after 3 years and put some AdSense adverts on the site so if they work out then I'll be moving to a VPS as soon as enough funds are raised.

I do think there is an unnecessary amount of scaremongering when it comes to shared hosting.
For a new, small site, there's nothing wrong with it.

I do think there is an unnecessary amount of scaremongering when it comes to shared hosting.
There is indeed. All hosts are not created equally. Saying all shared hosting is <whatever> is like saying all cars or televisions or tacos are <whatever>. You can't lump them all together.

It's easy to start a hosting "business" with all the prepackaged control panels and cheap dedicated servers out there, and a lot of ****s and idiots start a "host" then quickly find they don't know their ass from their elbow and disappear. That makes people understandably wary, but it doesn't mean all that every host uses the same tactics.

There is indeed. All hosts are not created equally. Saying all shared hosting is <whatever> is like saying all cars or televisions or tacos are <whatever>. You can't lump them all together.

It's easy to start a hosting "business" with all the prepackaged control panels and cheap dedicated servers out there, and a lot of ****s and idiots start a "host" then quickly find they don't know their ass from their elbow and disappear. That makes people understandably wary, but it doesn't mean all that every host uses the same tactics.
Brogan - glad that your host seems to do a very good job of monitoring resources. I've had a pretty good experience at FatCow when I used them as well. If your site or sites are mostly hobby or non-essential and some potential downtime isn't going to cause you a huge heartache, a shared host presents a good compromise. The key really is in being honest with yourself -- you're going to have to pay something reasonable for the hosting. mjp makes a good point - significant problems occur when people get sucked into many of the too good to be true offers from yet another "hosting business" to find out the service sucks. This issue is only exacerbated when these companies advertise in "respected" places like WebHostingTalk where people are expecting "quality" and when a handful of "brand name" companies set a whole new standard of low in providing shared hosting.

Yeah and how about all those "fake" review sites that look legitimate but are only fronts for bogus hosting affiliate links. Bait and switch. Who can we trust?!

Yeah and how about all those "fake" review sites that look legitimate but are only fronts for bogus hosting affiliate links. Bait and switch. Who can we trust?!
Personal experience from those who you feel are experienced and trustworthy. I also know the owners and people who run some of these companies. If you're on the hosting forums you also have heard of some of the major catastrophes as well and remember the names. :)

servint.net

16 years in the business. They run their own NOC (network operations center) as opposed to hostgator who relies on sending emails to The Planets NOC.

I am extremely picky..
well the planet doesnt exist anymore since they decided to move all customers to softlayer as the owners decide to cease the planet, they actually fired alot of good employee at the planet. So softlayer team is taking over the planet customers includign colocation customers

well the planet doesnt exist anymore since they decided to move all customers to softlayer as the owners decide to cease the planet, they actually fired alot of good employee at the planet. So softlayer team is taking over the planet customers includign colocation customers
Thanks for that, I've not kept up.

I'm thinking of upgrading my Hostgator shared hosting plan to their VPS plan. Any good or is it crap? Shared hosting has been way to slow. Should I consider another VPS webhost?
I don't have any personal experience with Hostgator.So,I can't comment about their VPS plan.
I have been using 9Cubehosting.com to host my VPS .They provide VPS for a decent price with SSH and Full root access.Their service and support is also excellent.They guarantee 99.9% server uptime.

I tend to stay away from any VPS offering unless the company makes a point of making it clear, they don't oversell and their VPS's are speedy all the time.

To many times (before I came somewhat knowledgeable hosting) did I rent a VPS, with the promise of "Blazing speed of a dedicated" and it turned out to be slower than shared heh

I made the mistake of getting a Burstnet "Premium VPS" once, that was pretty bad, was constantly having issues where other users were chewing up the I/O and slowing the whole server down.

I am on Namecheap. Quite OK. Sometimes Shared Hosting is a bit slowing down but i do get a good Support (very Helpfull), lots of Extras included.
For something faster i guess is a Root or something similiar needed. Shared can always cause some Probs, because of your Neighbour(s). Like in Reallife ;)

I use a couple hostgator vps packages....
here's one...
vpscustys.webp

works just fine for me...

I have been with Hostgator since the beginning, when Brent was easy to reach. They've grown, and with that comes some growing pains. Hostgator offers a great product at a great price. Their weak spot is communication. They don't tell you when they are going to upgrade your server. They are unable to identify an upgrade after they break your system. They are very bad with locating previous communications with you, often repeating or having you rehash everything that is happening. If you don't need to communicate with them and pretty much able to take care of your own site, they are unbeatable at the prices they offer.

Ah not to bad at all
When I had my racksrv VPS, it was consistantly showing 0.00/0.00/0.00 anytime I logged in.

They've grown, and with that comes some growing pains. They don't tell you when they are going to upgrade your server. They are unable to identify an upgrade after they break your system. They are very bad with locating previous communications with you, often repeating or having you rehash everything that is happening.
Hostgator was acquired by Endurance (along with a few other sizable hosts since I first posted that list). Don't expect their service to improve.

Top Bottom