1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hostgator and Xenforo compatability

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Bethk84, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Bethk84

Bethk84 Member

I probably should have asked this BEFORE I purchased the xenforo license, but is Xenforo compatible with HostGator shared accounts? I have my own server thats dedicated to my computer that can be used to upload files, but I have a Shared Account. I hope its compatable as I can't wait to use the software.

2. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

XenForo requirements are listed on the purchase page along with a test script to see if your hosting meets these.

https://xenforo.com/purchase/

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Yes, you should be fine.

4. wang

wang Well-Known Member

It should be, provided they run the latest php version. But to make real certain, you can download the test script at the bottom of this page and run it in your shared host. That would give if your host meets the requirement to use xenforo or not.

https://xenforo.com/purchase/

5. Jim Kingsnorth

Jim Kingsnorth Active Member

I am on hostgator and have no issues. In fact, it seems I am using much less resources since I switched from IPS to XF.

6. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

You might have problems with 1 MB+ .gif attachments.

7. Bethk84

Bethk84 Member

Thank, @Jim Kingsnorth that is very good to know. That is my biggest concern, as I will be running a lot of add ons on my forum. I may have to upgrade my hostgator account, but if it all works out the way I think it will, it will be worth the upgrade.

8. Bethk84

Bethk84 Member

@whynot thanks, I will keep that in mind. As mentioned above, I might have to upgrade my account on HostGator.

9. Ernest L. Defoe

Ernest L. Defoe Well-Known Member

If you are gonna possibly upgrade your HostGator account in the future I'd recommend looking for a new host that keeps servers updated with the latest OS kernels, php, mysql, etc as HG is kinda far behind compared to some other hosts. I know @Mike Edge offers great hosting and @The Dark Wizard is apparently pretty good too. I have a VPS with Mike and I'm loving it. I have control of what's installed what the settings are and so on.

10. BoostN

BoostN Active Member

Yep.. Exactly what @Ernest L. Defoe said. I built out my own server with Linode and works flawless!

11. mcatze

mcatze Well-Known Member

The Dark Wizard likes this.
  12. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

In my experience with HostGator they provide a very good service and you won't have any issues running on a shared account with them.