Horrible Tornado Season in USA

No matter what happens I am going to keep doing me until the last step regardless if a day is of significance to anything or not. I find it best just to keep my wits about myself and presuming that anything can happen allows you prepare for just about anything...almost. A tornado is not one of them. Your house is in a place, usually static. If you don't have transportation or are just not aware of what is happening , say assuming that you believe it is just horrible weather you might just be in the house unaware and BAM nature calls. No matter what in any situation like this I always hope that all the damage done is to property only.

Everyone must go one day but under these terms it doesn't sit well with me...everyone should have a chance to fight off an attacker. That which supports all of our lives took something in return from all of those who lost loved ones in this and every other natural event. My sympathies to all of those affected and may you have closure one day.

Thanks Ant. I have friends in Missouri and a family member just a few miles from where the worst of the tornadoes hit in Oklahoma City. So this is very serious to me.

I just thank God that she is not one of the almost 1,500 people still missing in Joplin, Missouri.

Condolences to all those who have lost loved one's in the US tornado tragedies. The latest we got on the news here was around 150+ in this last one a day or two ago.

Mother nature is going ape on us all at present... earth quakes, floods, tornado's... out of control.

Mother nature is going ape on us all at present... earth quakes, floods, tornado's... out of control.

It really is out of control. They were saying on our national weather channel this morning that they have never seen anything like this.
Today is supposed to be a quiet day for weather. This is a good thing, as these people really need a break.

The hospital that was destroyed on Sunday - Someone found, and returned, a woman's medical records. They were found 30 miles away.

a while back we were hit by a very small tornado. It was right by my house and I slept through the whole thing. :eek: I eventually walked down the path behind my house to check it out and there were a few trees uprooted and twisted around. One house ended up with a tree through the roof. Luckily, the family had decided to sleep in the basement that night, so no one was hurt. This was just a small one...I can't imagine facing the tornadoes that those are people have been.

Having once been through the tail end of a Cyclone, I can well imagine that a full Tornado is truly and utterly terrifying experience even if it doesn't directly hit your house.

Having once been through the tail end of a Cyclone, I can well imagine that a full Tornado is truly and utterly terrifying experience even if it doesn't directly hit your house.
Indeed. And anyone who has seen Storm Chasers on Discovery has had a chance to see how frightening these things can really be. BTW, those guys are all crazy.

Joplin got hit very hard.

The fortunate thing about Tornado alley is much of it has a lot of space between population centers so most of them cut a path across open fields and farmland. Unfortunately the tornado's seem to be hitting more people and some of the outbreaks are hitting well outside of tornado alley where the population is more dense.

2011_0424_reports_svr.gif

Joplin is in Missouri where four states come together. It is where Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri meet.

The outbreaks on the East Coast earlier in the year was a bit of a surprise to me. I know tornado's can happen almost anywhere but most of them fall in the more empty center regions of the country.

tornadoalley.jpg

I am about 30 miles from the Kansas border in Oklahoma, NOAA is about 50 miles south of me.

Much of the movies Twister was filmed where I am at right now. The locals didn't like Helen but the people here seemed to really like Bill.

Good to hear that they're going to have a break, however brief, in the weather.
I hope they can find these missing people.

I am surprised that we have not had much tornado activity in Michigan. We seemed to have a lot more when I was a kidlet, many decades ago. :D We are not immune though (far from it), and I still remember seeing the southern edge of a tornado cloud when I was young--it was very black and slow moving.

We are getting flooding here--drenched by rains. The NOAA even cancelled their weekly testing of weather radio stations today since the threat of severe weather still exists. And there is a nasty line of rain and storms making its way across our area now as I write this.

That's just crazy. I hope that this isn't what summer is going to be composed of this year. o_O

... The NOAA even cancelled their weekly testing of weather radio stations today since the threat of severe weather still exists.

No point if they're having the real thing now. :p

That's just crazy. I hope that this isn't what summer is going to be composed of this year. o_O

No point if they're having the real thing now. :p
I hope not as well, CA probably get hit by a size 10 earthquake because we're so overdue for a large one (One of the largest fault that goes under most of the Los Angeles area hasn't gone off since '94).

Roads are flooding around here. The storm sewers can't keep up with it. If the pond in the backyard gets any bigger, I'll be able to go Jet-Skiing on it!

Top Bottom