1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holy Spammer attack Batman!

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Dodgeboard, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Dodgeboard

Dodgeboard Well-Known Member

Seems like Xenforo could use some spammer tools themselves. In just a few minutes, there have been like ten spam threads started and no mods online to deal with them. Why doesn't this site incorporate one of the many spammer plugins that use the spam databases to keep spammers out?
    steven s likes this.
  2. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

Agree. It's relentless.
    I had a few forums that regrettably haven't devoted much time to but ended up closing them due to the volume of spam registrations.
  3. Dodgeboard

Hit "new threads" and half of them are spam. Yikes! This looks like a test forum that I left and forgot about for a year only to return and find the database over 100 MB full of spam.

4. high1976

high1976 Active Member

it's really a little too much these days...
  5. Dodgeboard

To me, it just looks bad for Xenforo. Like selling a house infested with rats.
    Brandon Sheley likes this.
  6. steven s

Something bad? Nahhhhh.
    John likes this.
  7. Dodgeboard

Slavik just killed them rats. They'll be back. Someone needs to plug the holes.
  8. craigiri

craigiri Well-Known Member

You'd think just a few of the common tools along with manual member activation would do the job........
  9. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

I've yet to check this site in the morning and NOT see spam.
    I use to report them, but it's getting old so I just skip over it these days..
    steven s and Dodgeboard like this.
  10. Dodgeboard

I like the idea! Just rights to use the spam cleaner to soft delete, nothing else. Not moderators, but SpamCops. :D
    vVv likes this.
  11. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

With the developers gone rogue, I doubt this will be fixed soon. Unfortunately.
  12. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

13. Digital Doctor

Case in Point.

14. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

When SFS is finally rolled out, we shall look back and laugh :p
  15. Digital Doctor

until the next xrumer update.
  16. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

If only there was a way to force spammers to use the same username, email and IP address... then SFS would be really useful. :)
  17. steven s

I don't know. SFS is working very well on my vB forums.
    Dodgeboard likes this.
  18. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

I'm sure it works for some... blocking the lowbie spammers and all, but the big time spammers aren't using the same IPs, usernames or emails... so for those, it's rather pointless unfortunately.
    tenants likes this.
  19. Bubka3

Bubka3 Active Member

I've had KeyCaptcha stop all of them. Has anybody tried it and gotten the same results?
  20. John

John Well-Known Member

Moderate new members and they'll get bored and move on to fresh meat.