Holy Spammer attack Batman!

I think the abuse risk is low.
A good example is I would give you spam mod status here at Xenforo.com.
I don't think it is hard to pick spam moderators.

Right after I responded to you.
spam.spam.spam.webp

Yeah, the default CAPTCHA simply doesn't work, or any popular CAPTCHA for that matter (they might work for a while, but will eventually be beaten)

Once beaten.. they are beaten everywhere, which is why custom Img CAPTHCA (like this) are so much better. Who's going to train a bot against an individual forum, it would be quicker to manually register (unless it's a system that everyone uses, like FB, and they plan on creating multiple accounts, but this just isn't the case with forums, they plan on creating users on millions of forums not 1 forum)

How about a modification that hides a post that has been reported as spam by a member with at least x number of posts?
Anyone abuses the report button gets banned.

In that thread, it has been pointed out already that you could create Moderators that have the ability to send spam posts into moderation.
Somethings does need to be done.
As said elsewhere, it looks pretty bad to a potential new customer to see all this spam.
Whenever I visit a forum with a lot of spam I turn around figuring the owner just doesn't care.
That's why I closed my other xf sites. +240,000 spams from ~200 spammers.
I didn't realize you could still register with a forum being closed. Seems silly to me.
But ironically that closed forum is generating more and more adsense revenue every day.

I didn't realize you could still register with a forum being closed. Seems silly to me.
But ironically that closed forum is generating more and more adsense revenue every day.

:confused:

If we could just make a script that stopped threads with keywords ugg boots and jersy's in the title, or threads in Russian, that are posted in the open forums as a first post by same day registrant, then this site would be pretty safe. :D Seems like a simple script could do that.

Top Bottom