Here is why you build your own computer

I let Apple build my computers.

However, if I rented a computer, and someone wanted to spy on me slamming my squirrel, I dont think it would bother me as much as it would bother them.

I work for an ISP and we DO NOT support customers with home built computers !!!
what has a pc got to with an ISP?

I ring you; you ask: What operating system are you using .. I start listing off all the different installs in my house? (Win7 x4, win xp x1, android x 3, iOS x2) take your pick :)

I work for an ISP, and don't give a rats arse what you use, but I would prefer you use a home brew linux box, coz then I can ask you to:
ip add, iptables -L, ip neigh, ip route .. all the useful stuff an ISP needs to know .. NOT do you own a dell/hp/chinese import special brand

They were doing a 'rent to own' service.

Really had nothing to do with whether it was a PC or a Mac, as what was done could just as easily have worked on a Mac with a few changes.
It also doesn't matter if it's prebuilt or home built.

I bought mine pre-built and it out performs any custom build I've ever done to date. :)

On topic: This is also why you buy direct from manufacturer. Can't afford it, don't buy it. :)

It also doesn't matter if it's prebuilt or home built.

I bought mine pre-built and it out performs any custom build I've ever done to date. :)

On topic: This is also why you buy direct from manufacturer. Can't afford it, don't buy it. :)
Home built is almost always going be better quality and cheaper in price than a prebuilt. Even services like iBuyPower and CyberPowerPC tend to have poor quality at times (The systems that my stepdad recently bought had loose fans and even the hard drives were looser than normal).

Really?

So if I call and have an issue, you just say, "Sorry your modem has an issue, buy a Dell?"

That is correct. if your query requires hardware troubleshooting we do not support a homebrew. That's what's on the books anyway :D
Some Software makers have the same policy as well ;)

That is correct. if your query requires hardware troubleshooting we do not support a homebrew. That's what's on the books anyway :D
Some Software makers have the same policy as well ;)

I can understand for hardware issues, but I thought you meant connectivity issues.

Home built is almost always going be better quality and cheaper in price than a prebuilt.

I disagree. I used to build my own computers and when you factor in your time, the purchase of the OS, warranty claims, getting something like a Dell is cheaper. I spent a lot of money on my last computer, had hardware problems and had some downtime due to waiting for replacement parts to be shipped. I have next day service with my Dell.

I disagree. I used to build my own computers and when you factor in your time, the purchase of the OS, warranty claims, getting something like a Dell is cheaper. I spent a lot of money on my last computer, had hardware problems and had some downtime due to waiting for replacement parts to be shipped. I have next day service with my Dell.

My friend made me a suggestion with all these parts and they come to a total of $525 (not including shipping) and according to him it can possibly run anything fairly well but Crysis 2. And he's built his own computer I believe. Other people on my forums have custom computers.

I work for an ISP and we DO NOT support customers with home built computers !!!

Funny. When our net went down, all our ISP told us to do was unplug the router or modem's power cord for 30 seconds, plug it back in, and it worked. Nothing hardware wise was needed to change.

You can't compare the build qualities, especially with the usually generic/low end parts Dell uses (excluding their higher end products, which still aren't usually comparable).

OEM licenses are a waste, and you're always better off owning a standalone license (especially if you go through computers as quickly as I do).

About the only thing you do save on is the warranty, and even than it often can become a hassle dealing with Dell or another company.

When I was in the process of buying this system (I was deciding on building or buying) I looked at Dell, HP, a few other companies, and at the prices for the parts themselves. Dell came just below HP in price, and about $100-200 higher than the other companies.

There was a $500+ difference when I looked at building my own, and that was with a few upgrades to parts that weren't offered with these other companies.

(y) Also didn't have to deal with all the garbage pre-installed junk (y).

Top Bottom