Here is why you build your own computer

I used to work for Virgin Media and can tell you that no longer do engineers install software on your home computer because of shady people making "false claims" later to get a new PC saying they broke it. Now you leave them a disk and let them do it all themselves because of that sole reason. You don't touch their computers anymore like before, that's pretty much policy with VM.

I disagree. I used to build my own computers and when you factor in your time, the purchase of the OS, warranty claims, getting something like a Dell is cheaper. I spent a lot of money on my last computer, had hardware problems and had some downtime due to waiting for replacement parts to be shipped. I have next day service with my Dell.
What time? I order my parts, they are here in 3 days, I assemble the pc in less than an hour. In fact the longest of the tasks is literally the even spreading of thermal paste on the chipsets. I have never had a problem with warranty and my worst case was one video card I had purchased was bad and the place I ordered gladly sent me a replacement that minute along with return packaging for the old one. Simple. I pick all my components and with that I get to grab things like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128472 which you will never see at dell. A true to life story from me to you is...the only computer's I have ever had fail have been prebuilts and mostly dells.

Building your own you can build something as small as the average router or something that weighs 100lbs and dims the lights when you power it on...every piece involved can be selected for your liking.

My friend made me a suggestion with all these parts and they come to a total of $525 (not including shipping) and according to him it can possibly run anything fairly well but Crysis 2. And he's built his own computer I believe. Other people on my forums have custom computers
This is quite possible: here is a random kit for you to assemble http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.644166 ...not suggesting this one at all just saying it is very possible as that pc would run Crysis2 for sure you would just need to pick a video card or as your friend did make your own list.

Ahhh....smell that.....that's freedom :)

I used to work for Virgin Media and can tell you that no longer do engineers install software on your home computer because of shady people making "false claims" later to get a new PC saying they broke it. Now you leave them a disk and let them do it all themselves because of that sole reason. You don't touch their computers anymore like before, that's pretty much policy with VM.
But that has nothing to do with a home build computer and it's benefits...also all isp's will have to change that soon (software requirements for service) or the market of people will not be fully exposed to them as people who get internet access and only have gaming consoles will not be using their services.

This is quite possible: here is a random kit for you to assemble http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.644166 ...not suggesting this one at all just saying it is very possible as that pc would run Crysis2 for sure you would just need to pick a video card or as your friend did make your own list.

Well this is what he made. I'm lazy and quoted his post from my forums.

Potter said:

That looks solid enough...I would spend the few extra dollars and get a slightly larger power supply so if you choose to expand down the road (higher end video card let's say) you will only need to change one part, the power supply is rated for 400 watts and that is the minimum for that video card. From personal experience, paying an extra 20-50 dollars to ante up on your power would be something I wouldn't even have to think about anymore. Other than the power supply (which will work you just have no room to grow with that one) I would have no problem saying that is everything you need get that machine running.

I noticed the memory you posted is out of stock as well....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134718 this seems as it would work in it's place and it is a total of 4 gb as well though only taking up two slots..which leaves you two free to expand.

If you do go through with this entire build I would be interested in knowing how it works out for you as well as far as how solid the rosewill cases are, haven't tried any of their cases out at this point. I build my own cases now so I have not been following that area of pc products because I bought one case that vibrated so loud I had to use my computer with the tower looking like a convertible. That led me to buying the same generic looking case I put in anyone's build that I am working on and must admit I don't put too much time into that myself anymore. So yeah long story short I would like to know if that case works out as well and if it is built well enough that you don't hear vibrations.

Thanks for the suggestion EQnoble. I'm not too knowledgeable with computer parts... I only seem to be well software wise >_<;

How much is shipping and what will you do for an OS? Linux?
shipping is usually free from newegg for 3 day shipping on orders if not it is less than 15 bucks. He can use whatever OS is on his current computer or he can contact me and I can give him a legit one which I have no need for.

How much is shipping and what will you do for an OS? Linux?

Work is a partner of Microsoft, so I can get free or cheap keys (y).

Also have a few licenses or can ask someone who is part of MSDN.

Or just buy a license, they're not that much, and the ability to switch between systems far outweighs the cost making it superior to an OEM.

And shipping was free because I bought everything in bulk. Oh, I also get a ton of coupons from Newegg (y).

There was none installed on mine either .

Unlikely, Dell has their proprietary programs for backup, tutorials and other junk that is installed with new systems. You also have your trial software, and just in general garbage that just clutters the install.

Most OEM's come with pre-installed junk.

shipping is usually free from newegg for 3 day shipping on orders if not it is less than 15 bucks. He can use whatever OS is on his current computer or she can contact me and I can give him a legit one which I have no need for.

Fixed. XD. I'm actually a female, but my names make me appear male. I guess that's what I get for having a tomboyish nature.

Also my boyfriend has a "Mini-XP" CD which isn't genuine, but we know how to bypass it. My boyfriend also seems to prefer Windows XP.

Work is a partner of Microsoft, so I can get free or cheap keys (y).

Also have a few licenses or can ask someone who is part of MSDN.

Or just buy a license, they're not that much, and the ability to switch between systems far outweighs the cost making it superior to an OEM.

And shipping was free because I bought everything in bulk. Oh, I also get a ton of coupons from Newegg (y).

Huh interesting...

See yeah I want a good enough computer. My old one was a HP computer with a dual-core processor with 3 GB of RAM, NVidea video card, and like 320 GB of space. =\

Unlikely, Dell has their proprietary programs for backup, tutorials and other junk that is installed with new systems. You also have your trial software, and just in general garbage that just clutters the install.

Not on the Vostro series.

Top Bottom