Here I come...Threads: 194,968, Posts: 1,548,630, Members: 727,979

Hornstar

:) What an exciting day in the forum world. My congrats to Kier and Ashley (and hopefully Mike as well)

My site which is still on vbulletin 3.8 with Threads: 194,968, Posts: 1,548,630, Members: 727,979
And has been waiting for this day. It's time to make the move to xenforo and leave the sinking ship behind.

I suppose I have a thousand questions that I'd like to ask as this will be a big move for myself but I'd also like any advice you have.

1. I have two skins that I would like to have replicated to xenforo. I am not experienced in this field and the people who were are no longer around. So what are my options. I think my members will take to xenforo better if it looks a little like my old site. Ideally I want to get a brand new custom skin made however I think replicating the two main skins first will be important. Is there any info on how to pull this off for a novice? Or is this more suited at someone who is skilled? And if so who around here would I ask and how much am I looking at paying? This will be a big factor on my move.

2. I have vb3arcade installed. I have people who have been playing it since 2005. Is there a good working xenforo arcade and is there an importer from vb3arcade?

3. I'm running vbseo, is there an easy novice way to keep my URL structure?

Can't wait to be apart of xenforo :)

Why not just make div files and send it off to Kier and Mike to include into the core? Would save you a hell of a lot of work keeping all the addons updated.
Well, assuming Kier and Mike add everything I give them (hah, which they wouldn't), then everyone would have all sorts of stuff that wouldn't work for them on their site (either because they *technically* can't use it or it's some sort of vertical thing that doesn't apply to their industry or in some cases any site except our own).

When *I* talk about an "addon", I'm talking about things that could exist as entire site on their own... for example the world's largest historical search engine ranking tracker (we have about 100,000 users using it): https://tools.digitalpoint.com/tracker

Hopefully at some point... But to be honest, I have a list of about 50 other things I need to wrap up into addons too as well as about 5 years worth of work on my own stuff too, so... :)
What search are you using? Are you using the elasticsearch from XF or did you make a sphinx add on? Or just default? I'd also be interested in more control of the likes system so I can set up something like you did but I would restrict downloads.

Well, assuming Kier and Mike add everything I give them (hah, which they wouldn't), then everyone would have all sorts of stuff that wouldn't work for them on their site (either because they *technically* can't use it or it's some sort of vertical thing that doesn't apply to their industry or in some cases any site except our own).

When *I* talk about an "addon", I'm talking about things that could exist as entire site on their own... for example the world's largest historical search engine ranking tracker (we have about 100,000 users using it): https://tools.digitalpoint.com/tracker
Ah, I see. I thought you referred to the mass of addons that you created to add functionality that was in vb but is not yet in XF.

What search are you using? Are you using the elasticsearch from XF or did you make a sphinx add on? Or just default? I'd also be interested in more control of the likes system so I can set up something like you did but I would restrict downloads.
I'm using Elastic Search... I added additional searchable content types (users, marketplace items, conversations, user notes, reports, etc)

Currently doing a test import. Progress is quite slow unfortunately. Still on step 1 - Import users. Been on this step for a few hours already and I am only up to 50% on Step 1. As I have over 731 000 members being processed. Is there a faster way that I can do this? (vb 3.8.7) - I can only find faster methods for vb4 (and they won't support attachments which is a must).

Might be worth having a clear out of your users before doing another import. I bet a huge volume of those users haven't visited the site in years (doesn't make sense otherwise with the volume of posts / threads you have). The number will go down, which I guess doesn't look as impressive, but it'll be more meaningful. Maybe do a search on all registered users who have 0 posts who havent signed in > 1 year? - When we were on VB I used to delete around 60k pointless users a year :)

It'll be a lot easier to do now in VB before the move (until some of the 1.2 improvements) :)

I did this before doing my move from VB to XF, every little helps!

Top Bottom